Author Topic: Chester Step Test.... again!  (Read 29029 times)

Offline Andy Cole

Chester Step Test.... again!
« on: September 08, 2007, 10:29:15 PM »
Does anyone know the current level required to pass the step test is it 40l/min or 45l/min?

Offline Machismo

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 11:08:33 PM »
off the top of my head, for some reason i remember it being 30

i don;t know why, maybe i am wrong.

Offline Tinker401

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 11:52:30 AM »
at my last medical, jan 06, it was 45l/min

Offline Machismo

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 11:59:27 PM »
yep you are right, just checked 45

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 08:50:34 PM »
I've always really struggled with this test, I can complete the required standard on the bleep test no worries and have just completed the fitness tests for the WT post I am going for (job related tests).

In the entire time I've been retained I can't remember a time when I have successfully completed the test, fitness isn't the issue I'm sure of it because of the above but also on the 'exertion scale' I am doing fine during the test but for some reason my Heart rate just shoots up.. can this just be down to nerves? I've tried doing the test today on my own and only got half way through level 3 and had a VO2 Max of about 26l/min which is ridiculous!!

I have the interview in a week or so, if i am successful at this stage I know I will be required to do a medical, if i produce a result like today's then I might just as well pull out now, they'd laugh!, is there anything I can try, as I say I'm sure it's not a question of being fit enough but more to do with technique.

ANY advice will be really gratefully received!!

Offline Kaiser

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 11:27:03 PM »
I remeber doing this test when I joined up, I've never done it since.  I do remember waiting for it to start and during the test, I went for a relaxing walk (inside my daydreaming head) then I went sailing on a calm day.  It seemed to relax me loads.  I remeber looking at the pulse monitor on my wrist before and after my daydream and the diference was major.  It worked for me, maybe it will work for you too
Malo Mori Quam Foed Ari

Offline finsp

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 09:45:44 AM »
Remember it is a test to measure your aerobic capacity!! (the efficiency of how your body converts o2 int energy) therefor remember to breath , often see people fail cos they try to sound like they are not breathing heavily! Breath in deeply on the up step and out on the down, simple.... u will see a vast difference

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 10:39:06 PM »
Thanks guys, I tried sailing just the once Kaiser..... I was crap at it!! lol I get the point though I will keep practising and hope I improve!

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 07:29:14 PM »
Improved drastically with the breathing, I got 43 l/min this evening which despite still being a 'fail' I am much happier with and much more confident that I can improve on this in time for a medical!..... let's hope I pass the interview, any tips whilst we're at it?

Cheers

Offline bruceybogtrotter

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 07:32:04 PM »
can anyone tell me how to accurately plot my results. PLEASE!!

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 09:00:25 PM »
That's part the problem it's not a very accurate test it is all done according to a 'line of best fit'

You draw a line across your Max HR (220 - your age)

Draw a line across 80% of your Max HR

Plot your heart rate at the end/beginning of each level in line with the level marking (these should be on a table in the bottom left of the form and vary according to the height step)

If your HR exceeds approx 80% of your Max HR or you reach a certain point on the exertion scale (I can't remember what level it is) then it's end of test!

You then draw a line of Best fit through your readings, the point which this line crosses your Max HR line will, if you draw a vertical line, give you your VO2 Max.

In the right hand corner of the form is a table showing the fitness groups and age groups I think you have to achieve a 'good' level of fitness to pass or have a VO2 Max of at least 45 l/min, I'm not 100% sure on that!

Hope that helps??

Andy

Offline finsp

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 09:02:37 PM »
The results will be put in the Chester Step Test calculator that comes in the software pack, this was Kevin Sykes way of ensuring the most accurate results, if no software you will need a Data form that will allow you to plot the results, remember tho recruitment uses a 30cm step height at all times, plot your readings in line with the 30cm step height rule, draw your max heart rate and 80% onto the grid, then draw a line 'best fit' following the plots. this line should cross the line showing your max hr, at the intersection drop aline to the bottom of the graph that will give you your Vo2 max, (within reason) without the software its the best u are going to get.

Offline finsp

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 09:19:58 PM »
Andy Cole, best bet to improve quickly is ti firstly find some steps, sports stadium type, sprint up and then run down, start on a number of reps that feels comfortable then increase each time you do it, 3 - 5 times a week ish, also do the step test daily without heart monitor or thoughts of recording, complete all the levels, cool down then repeat, this is a tried and tested method of getting a well over 45vo2 score in a short period of time, also, prior to your actual test, 2 days minimum caffeine, breath as i explained earlier, light snacks 3 hours before, and ultimately just relax... hope this helps.

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 09:50:07 PM »
Thank you very much!!

Offline bruceybogtrotter

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 03:25:45 PM »
how do you plot result if you only get half way through stage 4 before heart rate reaches 80%.