Author Topic: BAA fire fighter pay scales?  (Read 22048 times)

Offline sheppardnjs

BAA fire fighter pay scales?
« on: January 19, 2008, 06:47:18 PM »
Hi there guys n gals,
    I am new on here so i had better introduce myself first, my name is Neil i'm ex Royal Navy and hoping to
    join the airport fire service or civilian if my BAA application is unsuccessful!! ...

I am in the process at the moment of going through the interview stages to joining Baa fire service.
    Has anybody got any ideas of the pay scales both during training and in the early years of a career please.
    I have searched everywhere and can't find anything that is clear.

Also anybody from Stansted who is is serving at the moment  who wouldn't mind having  a chat with me as
    this is the station i have applied for.  I also wouldn't mind coming over to the station to have a chat and glean
    a bit of info prior to my interview.

Thanks for that.

Offline Little phil

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 09:48:17 AM »
HI all

I am currently at the same stage with BAA and cannot find pay scales, would like to know as well but would take the a career with BAA at Stansted whatever the training pay. Currently R/T with LA not to far away from Essex. I dont hold out to much hope as competition is always hot for any f/f vacancies and heard on the vine BAA dont usually take LA ffs [this is what i a have heard but hope this is not true].Would be better if they considered transfers[but again heard they dont].Still looking foward to having a chance and attending training centre again.
Does anyone know what the interview stages is like as the Email from them suggests that all the testing and interviews are carried out the same day, 2 and a bit hours dont seem very long tho.

Cheers

Benfire

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 12:18:32 AM »
I can get hold of the pay scales when im back at work, ill post them on Thursday

Offline sheppardnjs

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 08:30:47 AM »
Thanks for that Benfire :-))

Offline graham31

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 11:07:46 PM »
the 2 and a half hours is only for the writing test then you half to wait for the results depending on how many sittings their are.If you get through all that you still need to sit in a discussion of a subject of their choice(fire service choice)if you get through that then it's the physical THEN if you pass that then it's the final interview.All in all will take approximately 2monthish mayb 3 for hole process

Pay scale i was told during training it was roughly 21k when you become operational 24k but can earn up to 32k.My figures may be wrong i'm sure someone will correct me

Offline Fireguy1230

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 11:36:10 AM »
Just a wee correction to your post Graham,

The discussion (Group Exercise) is not of their (AFS) choice. It is a standardised topic with a nationally adopted marking and scoring system. This ensures that all applicants to the Airport Fire Service, regardless of the airport they are going for, recieve the same standard of testing and have to meet the same criteria as everyone else.

Offline Little phil

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 07:17:07 PM »
Thanks for the info on the testing, looking foward to the test date.

Offline sheppardnjs

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 09:01:19 PM »
Thanks for that guys, some great info there... :-))

Benfire

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 07:26:27 PM »
I couldnt get hold of the pay scales today, our HR dep. were all busy. Ill get them posted as soon as I get them, should be by Monday.

Offline sheppardnjs

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 08:05:45 PM »
Thanks Benfire :-)) much appreciated

Offline sheppardnjs

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 08:29:47 AM »
Thanks for that Benfire, much appreciated :-))

Just need to pass the tests now so keeping everything crossed.

Offline kyle_hogan

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 07:43:36 PM »
Hi lads,  I am a 17 yr old(nearly 18) whos dream has always been to become a firefighter. How could i get a form for the BAA fire service??

Thanks

Clevelandfire

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 12:59:23 AM »
Hi Kyle

The best way of getting an application form is by visiting BAA's website, or by contacting the airport's human resources dept directly. Try phonig around some of thel BAA airports local to you as sometimes jobs aren't advertised nationally or on the BAA website.

You say you want to be a firefighter? Are you aware of the differences between Airport and Local Authority Firefighters?

I've been lucky enough to serve as both a Local Authority and an Airport Firefighter.

There are pros and cons with each. Airport Firefighters dont tend to get as much action as Local Authority Firefighters. But by the same token alot of what Local Authority firefighters do now is attend false alarms, and undertaske community fire safety work, such as fitting smoke alarms and doing talks at local schools.

Airport firefighters at the bigger category airports get paid much more than local authority firefighters, are highly trained in certain areas of not only firefighting but also medical and trauma care.

At the end of the day they are both great jobs but it is important you know the differences. Airport fire services are traditionally harder to get into these days than local authority. By that I mean that the physical tests are more arduous.

The physical for the Birmingham Airport Fire Service for instance is bloomin crazy, it has been likened to the Royal Marines physical entrance test!!!

An exageration perhaps, but as I said do your homework and find out which one would suit you best and remember that the physical written tests are different for both!

Offline Fireguy1230

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 10:00:44 AM »
Kyle

Unfortunately BAA also have an age restriction on its applicants. You have to be at least 21 years old.

Offline acdw2008

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 09:11:31 PM »
you can find out paying scales by e mailing BAA they got in touch with me a while back.