Author Topic: Finally got in Wholetime!! So excited  (Read 19369 times)

Offline rp

Finally got in Wholetime!! So excited
« on: May 08, 2008, 11:41:32 AM »
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share my excitement with people that would understand!!
I have been trying to get in the fire brigade for the past 2 years now and finally just been offered a job starting 9th June at West Midlands. This is like my dream job so you can imagine my excitement.

Is there anybody on here currently active at West Midlands with any tips for me for the training course??

I think im the happiest person in the World right now.

Offline Frank6912

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 02:44:53 PM »
Well done rp, great news!

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 04:42:41 PM »
Quote from: Frank6912
Well done rp, great news!
Yep, Well done.
Only 40 years to do. Mind you, in 30 years time you might have to do another 20.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
Quote from: rp
Is there anybody on here currently active at West Midlands with any tips for me for the training course??
A tip? Yep, keep your mouth shut your ears open and enjoy the ride.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 06:11:51 PM »
Well done :)

Offline F&R2001

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 04:24:27 PM »
Yeah...dont take over the mess....its a thankless task.

Well done

Offline AllyMacG

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 02:23:26 AM »
Hey everyone,

I have been trying to get in the fire brigade for the past 2 years now and finally just been offered a job starting 9th June at West Midlands. This is like my dream job so you can imagine my excitement.

Well done rp hopefully i'll be celebrating getting in some time this year, west mids i think is a good/busy area for a FF so all the best.  I promised myself 2008 would be the year I get in the brigade still got 7 months and a few campaigns to go so fingers crossed, and once again all the best.

One more thing are you from west mids or are you relocating from another area?

Clevelandfire

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 02:52:40 AM »
good lad RP nice going its bloody hard these days

Offline rp

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 07:23:30 PM »
Quote from: AllyMacG
Hey everyone,

Well done rp hopefully i'll be celebrating getting in some time this year, west mids i think is a good/busy area for a FF so all the best.  I promised myself 2008 would be the year I get in the brigade still got 7 months and a few campaigns to go so fingers crossed, and once again all the best.

One more thing are you from west mids or are you relocating from another area?
Im from the North East so Im relocating.
I did actually work down in the midlands about 5 years ago so know the area so its not too bad. I dont mind to be honest, im just chuffed to be doing the job I want to do and know I will enjoy doing.

I passed all the entrance tests last year for the tyne and wear fire brigade (including the medical) but unfortunately had a poor sick record at the time from having a hernia operation and tearing some ligaments in my ankle so they didnt want to employ me in the end. Hence I then went for West Midlands and they were more than happy to have me - so like I said Im very happy to be doing a job I will love.

Offline rp

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 11:33:49 AM »
Quote from: bambam016
Hi rp, well done on starting in June at West Mids! Summer course - even better! I did 6 years in an East Mids brigade but am originally from up north, looking to get back into tyne n wear. I read your piece about them not taking you for sickness, at which stage did this happen? not that I have had any sickness but it just seemed a bit harsh. Its strange cos some services seem to bother with things that others dont. anyway all the best mate
Hey,

Yeah it was very harsh. It happened right at the end when they checked references (it was for Durham and Darlington Brigade).

Anyways thats all behind me - im itching to get started with West Midlands. I would have thought a summer course would have its down sides with it being red hot running around the yard in full fire kit.

Midland Retty

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 12:06:37 PM »
Hi RP

Well done - Congratulations !!!

As a fellow West Mids man I can tell you they're a very good organisation to work for

Advice? Just the usual really ... call every one "sir" or "ma'am", be humble, head down and listen in.

And if you are going to get drunk - do so on a friday night not a Saturday atleast then you will have plenty of time to recover for when Monday morning roles around!!!!

Remember the instructors will bawl and shout but it isnt personal so just enjoy it and work as hard as you can.

Best of luck mate

Offline rp

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 02:18:24 PM »
Cheers Retty,

I have given up the drink for now and dont plan on drinking throughout the training course. I have worked hard to get my fitness excellent and I want to keep it that way.

Whereabouts in the West Mids do you work and whats the shift pattern?

Thanks

Midland Retty

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 04:26:02 PM »
Cheers Retty,

I have given up the drink for now and dont plan on drinking throughout the training course. I have worked hard to get my fitness excellent and I want to keep it that way.

Whereabouts in the West Mids do you work and whats the shift pattern?

Thanks
Im currently on the nine to five payroll as an Inspecting officer in one of the Brigade's 5 fire safety centres (I wont say which one because quite a few people would try and stalk me :P)

Offline White_elephant

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 06:18:11 PM »
Excellent news well done, keep your ears open, work hard.......

Offline burgdog

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 09:44:50 PM »
well done mate.... im currently going through the training school at gmc so ill tell u now u will be in for a hard but enjoyable couple of months of your life. head down in the books and try your best thats all you can do. so far thats working for me. :)