Author Topic: Finally got in Wholetime!! So excited  (Read 19353 times)

Offline nearlythere

Finally got in Wholetime!! So excited
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 07:46:34 AM »
Quote from: rp
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share my excitement with people that would understand!!
I have been trying to get in the fire brigade for the past 2 years now and finally just been offered a job starting 9th June at West Midlands. This is like my dream job so you can imagine my excitement.

Is there anybody on here currently active at West Midlands with any tips for me for the training course??

I think im the happiest person in the World right now.
I was the happiest person in the world in 1977 when I joined. The next time I was the happiest man in the world was 2 months ago when I retired.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline rp

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 01:02:45 PM »
and you still cant get the fire service out of your system loitering around these message boards.

You love it really.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 02:40:50 PM »
Quote from: rp
and you still cant get the fire service out of your system loitering around these message boards.

You love it really.
No.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline rp

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 05:17:19 PM »
ha ha - im only joking.

Im sure you have some happy memories throughout your service and dont regret it.

Offline conorhaughian

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 06:58:57 PM »
well done rp............awaiting word from my interview in tyne and wear frs.........headwrecking time............good luck mate......

Offline rp

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 08:32:32 PM »
Does anyone know how the current training programme is spread out??

i.e - is it spread over 13 weeks Monday to Friday or are there training modules covered on a weekend also?

Cheers

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 11:46:20 AM »
I have recently completed a recruits training course, it was all Mon - Fri and the weekends were our own, sort of! There is a lot of work to do both physically and theortically!

As for the structure of the course I think this is probably different for each brigade, the basic content is probably the same but when you do things may be different and you may do stuff that others don't do to fall in line with your operational requirements.

You'll enjoy it though, just keep your head down and work hard and you'll be fine!!

Offline rp

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 12:30:08 PM »
Cheers Andy Cole,

Yeah I have had confirmation that my training is Monday to Friday. Im guessing my weekends will be spent with my head in the books.
I just cant wait to get stuck in to be honest.

Offline pugh

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 11:25:32 AM »
Gawsh!  I don't remember what it's like to be soo excited about starting in the service.  Perhaps if I did I wouldnt be the cynical old git that I am!

Anyhoo, here goes.  When you are at the school, PAY ATTENTION!  Instructors only want to say things once - I know, I was one.  Only answer direct questions - never chip in as you may be thought of as a smart-alec.  Maintain your appearance - this goes a long way towrds demonstrating your self-discipline and motivation.  Always give 100% on practical exercises.  From personal experience, even if you are a clumsy so and so, the very fact that you don't give up and always give your best effort, the instructional staff will always be there to assist.  If they aren't, they shouldn't hold the position.

I and my colleagues at the training school all agreed, the best recruits were the anonymous ones.  They never got into bother but just got stuck in and did what was asked of them.

If you pick up an injury (sprains, strains, blisters, etc) - tell your squad instructor.  Apart from the requirement to record/investigate/treat injuries, if you try to carry it without telling anyone, your performance will be affected and the instructors will notice.  If they dont know you are injured, they will conclude you are just being lazy or not helping the team.

I wish you the very best of luck in your recruit course.  Enjoy it.  You should be able to look back on it as a happy time and with pride in a job well done.

Offline toby14483

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 11:54:38 AM »
And for gods sake shave. Every day. Then do it again for good measure. Even if you don't need it. Or they WILL notice and you'll be doing more laps of the drill yard than you knew were possible.

When you are asked to go somewhere on a drill yard, you need to be going there at double time, and all together. We were made to run in a perfect line side by side, in step to each other. If we messed up, we do it again. And again. And again. Until we got it right.

Mind you, I think they decided they didn't like me, after collapsing on the first afternoon from dehydration, thanks to lots of hose running. Top Tip: Drink lots of water. LOTS.

Offline rp

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 03:09:18 PM »
Quote from: pugh
Gawsh!  I don't remember what it's like to be soo excited about starting in the service.  Perhaps if I did I wouldnt be the cynical old git that I am!

Anyhoo, here goes.  When you are at the school, PAY ATTENTION!  Instructors only want to say things once - I know, I was one.  Only answer direct questions - never chip in as you may be thought of as a smart-alec.  Maintain your appearance - this goes a long way towrds demonstrating your self-discipline and motivation.  Always give 100% on practical exercises.  From personal experience, even if you are a clumsy so and so, the very fact that you don't give up and always give your best effort, the instructional staff will always be there to assist.  If they aren't, they shouldn't hold the position.

I and my colleagues at the training school all agreed, the best recruits were the anonymous ones.  They never got into bother but just got stuck in and did what was asked of them.

If you pick up an injury (sprains, strains, blisters, etc) - tell your squad instructor.  Apart from the requirement to record/investigate/treat injuries, if you try to carry it without telling anyone, your performance will be affected and the instructors will notice.  If they dont know you are injured, they will conclude you are just being lazy or not helping the team.

I wish you the very best of luck in your recruit course.  Enjoy it.  You should be able to look back on it as a happy time and with pride in a job well done.
Cheers for all the advice - really helpful.
As an instructor yourself - I have been asked on my first day to arrive wearing smart but casual clothing. Would you find jeans as acceptable clothing for smart/casual.

Thanks again

Offline pugh

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008, 07:56:01 AM »
Speaking personaly, it didn't matter what the trainees wore for their arrival as, just as soon as they could, they put on their new uniforms (or whatever passes for such these days).  If you have been told 'smart/casual', then I would guess jeans may not quite fit the bill.  But then again, I am a bit old-fashioned.

Good luck.

Offline johno67

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008, 12:14:32 PM »
For all the courses I've been on within Brigade, smart casual basically means no shorts, sandals, sleeveless t-shirts etc. Jeans, normal t-shirts, trainers are usually fine.
Likes to play Devil's Advocate

Offline BB

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 12:30:54 PM »
Well done RP. Be postive and try and ignore some of the old timers out there. It's still a good job and career. Get plently of courses under your belt will always come in useful espically when you come into fire safety??
Save a little money each month and at the end of the year you'll be surprised at how little you have :)

Offline johno67

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 12:53:06 PM »
Trying to recruit him already BB, give the poor lad a chance to get his foot in the door first!
Likes to play Devil's Advocate