Author Topic: chester step test?  (Read 52974 times)

chester step test?
« on: December 15, 2004, 11:38:45 AM »
just wondering if any one had any tips on how to keep your heart rate down for this entrance test, a friend of mine is failing it by being two points over on his overall score, many thanks!

Offline Proby

chester step test?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 11:46:23 AM »
Try being fit enough to pass it first, that would help.

Seriously, a good tip is to use the step test as a form of exercise to train on this way your body gets  bit more used to this type of exercise.

BUt in all honesty there are only two explanations for failing it either your not fit enough or the guy/gal (see that pc), is suffering from extreme nervousness each time they take the test, the tester should take this into account but just try and relax!
The Jobs Fcuked !! ;-)

Offline vecsri

chester step test?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 01:06:27 PM »
I've got my assement day on tuesday.
I was wondering too how to hold your heart rate down, Apart from actually being fit, Controling your breathing does help, But incredibly hard to do when actually doing the test.
Good luck to your friend for his next test.

Offline fireftrm

chester step test?
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 02:54:35 PM »
There is also the issue of having a higher than your normal resting heart rate when you begin - warmed up with an already speeding beat will mean a lower increase in the heart rate for each subsequent section. The result of the test is based on a graph with a line drawn through the rate at the end of each section, so if it is high to start with and does not raise so quickly then the incline will be lower.  I do know of a 7 mile-a-day runner, determined as very fit by other tests around the same time, who failed the test on first attempt. They passed it one week later because they ran to the medical. So maybe the answer is how to keep your heart rate up prior to the test starting!
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline vecsri

chester step test?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 05:53:32 PM »
nervousness keeps it up. i did a practice today at my local station and got a start of 92 heart rate, so quite high at rest.
i went over the 80% mark half way through stage 5.
any ideas how that seems?

Offline Andy Cole

chester step test?
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 06:14:24 PM »
Controlling your breathing is a good way to help. The Chester Step Test isn't really a good demonstration of someones true fitness level anyway because it doesn't take into account your recovery rate which is a good sign of fitness!.
 A much better test of true fitness is to do the Shuttle Run (Bleep Test) depending on which brigade you go for depends on the level you are required to reach, for example Somerset requires a level of 8.4 but Cornwall requires 9.6 you need to check with your own brigade.

Long, Slow deep breaths will help with the Step Test though, otherwise try asking if you can do a shuttle run they can only say no!. I always struggle to meet the required level on the step test but can easily do the bleep test!.

Good Luck anyway!

Offline fireftrm

chester step test?
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 10:05:07 AM »
Most people don't get to end of stage 4 so getting 80% in stage 5 should give an very good result. The simple graph, which should have been able to drawn immediately, would have given your VO max there and then?

Shuttle run is not in the new Ff tests and is now out of use in most as a result.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline vecsri

chester step test?
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 09:48:01 PM »
nerves instantly gets your heart rate up.

Offline vecsri

chester step test?
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 09:49:09 PM »
Quote from: Andy Cole
Controlling your breathing is a good way to help. The Chester Step Test isn't really a good demonstration of someones true fitness level anyway because it doesn't take into account your recovery rate which is a good sign of fitness!.
 A much better test of true fitness is to do the Shuttle Run (Bleep Test) depending on which brigade you go for depends on the level you are required to reach, for example Somerset requires a level of 8.4 but Cornwall requires 9.6 you need to check with your own brigade.

Long, Slow deep breaths will help with the Step Test though, otherwise try asking if you can do a shuttle run they can only say no!. I always struggle to meet the required level on the step test but can easily do the bleep test!.

Good Luck anyway!
I don't think my brigade (north yorks) does the bleep test

Offline Cut Fire Service Pay

chester step test?
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 07:39:11 PM »
Before I eventualy joined the fire service I failed the 'chester step test' twice! There is no real secret to passing, fitness obviously hepls but the fact of the matter is the chart they use to determine your required 'point' level is flawed! Its based on the old national service standards. And as people have got heavier (but just as fit) over the years it hasn't been adjusted to compensate!

I know several PTIs & service fitness advisors that would love to see the back of it. I eventualy passed it by default as the next time I went for a test i was a year older and so went up a band on the chart! A total waste of time!

So don't be to upset if you do fail first time just keep at it, hopefuly the fire service will see sense and bin it!

Offline vecsri

chester step test?
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 04:52:09 PM »
I hope they do bin it, i did my assesment with north yorks yesterday. I get the results in a couple of days.

Offline vecsri

chester step test?
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 11:38:59 AM »
Got my results, I passed. I don't even know how!!
I 'think' it may because i started with a high pulse of about 110 and it took 3.5 stages to reach my max, I think if i'd started with a low heart rate i'd of failed.

Offline Pete

chester step test?
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 08:51:07 PM »
Quote from: vecsri
Got my results, I passed. I don't even know how!!
I 'think' it may because i started with a high pulse of about 110 and it took 3.5 stages to reach my max, I think if i'd started with a low heart rate i'd of failed.
Well Done Bud!!
First in, last out  
(unless the kettle's on)

Offline vecsri

chester step test?
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 12:03:04 AM »
Cheers :)

Offline gfx-tech

chester step test?
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 10:20:04 AM »
Hi Guys,

I already failed this test two years ago and I have another test in a few weeks (hopefuly!).

What is the criteria for passing?

What level do you need to reach before your heart rate goes above 80%?

I am 37 years old ATM and don't see me taking this test again if I fail this time.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Simon.