Author Topic: chester step test?  (Read 52962 times)

Offline Cut Fire Service Pay

chester step test?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 11:55:27 AM »
I think you need to look at the test itself, It doesn't realy prove a great deal. I have a freind who is a serving firefighter 5 years of service, he had to do the step test at the station and failed it. This bloke competes in triathlons and endurance races! His BMI was wrong for his age and as a result he failed.

The fire service is the ONLY service that still use this outdated method of testing someones suitability for the job. in my opinion if you can pass the new POEST job related tests and you are otherwise fit and healthy you should pass.

Offline gfx-tech

chester step test?
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 02:34:06 PM »
Thanks for the relpy :)

I understand that the test is in no way conclusive, but I'm after ways of helping myself to get through it.

I am unable to train properly for the test if I do not know the criteria for passing or failing.

Also... How does starting with a high heart rate help your chances? I thought you had to complete the test without reaching your max. calculated heart rate.

Offline Pitters79

chester step test?
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 09:08:08 AM »
I work for the company Fitech, we are the people that devise these fitness tests and record the information.

If anybody has any questions or would like some advice on fitness assessment I would be happy to answer your questions. Please email me at r.pitkin@fitech.co.uk.

To answer some of your questions, the chester step test is a very good indication of a person fitness. Some people may fail the test, this is only because they are not aerobically fit.

To gain entry into the fire service you have to reach a minimum VO2 max of 40ml/kg/min which is tested by the chester step test. This level is well above a normal persons fitness, to reach this level you must be fit, a good guide to how fit you must be would equate to being able to run a mile in under 7 minutes.

This test was selected as it mimics the job stresses a firefighter may endure, ie climbing steps or ladders.

Regards

Robin Pitkin

BSc, Msc (Sports Science)

Offline Paul M

chester step test?
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 12:54:33 PM »
Hi,
I,ve got my medical in one week and i'm worried about the step test. I can get to level 11.3 on the bleep test so i know that i'm fairly fit, but after reading all the posts here, and looking at some other site's, it seems as though that is not enough. I found a site that suggested a similar test (3 mins of stepping 12" at 92 BPM of a metronome, take pulse for 15 seconds and times by four), and my results were below average. PANIC!
My question is, after reading a post from vecsri, it seems that he passed by starting with a high pulse. Does anyone know if you are allowed to warm up before taking the test? If not, what about any ways i can speed up my pulse to start? Quick dash to the loo and do some secret squat jumps?
I know i am fit enough, and this test just seems a bit inaccurate.
Any ideas from anyone would be great
Thanks
Worried Paul