Author Topic: Final Interview  (Read 18727 times)

Offline spartan25

Final Interview
« on: October 12, 2008, 02:03:26 PM »
Hi

I have my final interview for cumbria FS at the end of the month and was wandering if there is anybody who could give me any examples of the PQA questions I might get asked, This in my 6th attempt now and any feedback would be massive help.

Also I have bought the how to become CD which has some helpfull tips and am also considering purchasing the how to pass interview notebook off Hannah Vallance, has anyone recently bought this and if so is it worth buying.

Many Thanks

Offline Cat

• I can't wait to drive with flishy flashy woo woo's
Final Interview
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 08:37:20 AM »
Hi Spartan25,

I have used Hannah's How to Pass your Interview workbook and found it really helpful.  It breaks everything down and works one step at a time to helping you form your answers.  For me I already had my pqa examples but just didn't know the format the fire service wanted them in (STAR) and the workbook taught me how to do it.  The feedback is the best I've ever had and you can really improve your answers from the comments.  I know that I wouldn't have passed my telephone interview had it not been for Hannah's help.  I certainly think its worth paying for having used it.  She has also helped me get shortlisted in another application recently as well so I believe her stuff is good.  The only other thing I can say is prepare really well which this workbook book will help you with.

Thanks Hannah for all your help if you are looking.

Good luck with your interview.

Offline twistedfirestopper

Final Interview
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 10:57:06 PM »

Offline spartan25

Final Interview
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 04:21:34 AM »
Thanks very much for the feedback Cat and twistedfirestopper its a massive help and appreciate it.

Interview is end of the month so i'll let you know how I get on(Fingers crossed).

Thanks again

Offline spartan25

Final Interview
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 04:57:05 AM »
Hi

Just a quick one. At the end of the interview when they ask do you have any questions, Has anyone got any good questions to fire back at the panel. Im thinking of something community based. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Offline spartan25

Final Interview
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 12:20:02 PM »
Hi

Just thought i would let you know i passed my interview am chuffed to bits, just the medical to push next week so fingers crossed.

Offline Cat

Final Interview
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 12:05:42 PM »
Congratulations :)  Good luck with the medical but I'm sure you'll pass it.

Offline spartan25

Final Interview
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 10:29:38 PM »
Hello

Passed my medical today with flying colours. over the moon. Just my CRB and references and if all good training starts beginning of feb.

Offline Cat

Final Interview
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 10:44:56 AM »
Congratulations!!!  Good luck with your recruits course in feb.

Offline Milo

Re: Final Interview
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 10:51:01 AM »
Hi spartan25

I've just put a post up along the same lines as yours, as i have my interview coming up. I've been unsuccessful before, so any advice you can give will be greatly recieved.

Many thanks

Milo

Offline spartan25

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 12:19:34 PM »
Hi Milo

Good luck with your interview, All i can say is have at least 3 examples for each PQA and when you give these examples tell them of how 'YOU' did it and not 'WE'.

The biggest thing is try and remain calm, i was flapping when i went into the room but the interviewrs want you to pass just remember that, there not there to catch you out. They start by introducing themselves and start a little converstaion to ease you into  it, just to get you talking which isnt part of the interview. They will then tell you that the interview is about to start so just take a deep breath and relax.

When answering the questions they are looking for examples using the  STAR method...what the SITUATION was, what was the TASK, what ACTION 'YOU' took and what was the final RESULT. Like I said before try and have at least 3 different examples for each PQA using the star method and you will be fine.

You've come this far so every bit of spare time you get should be on your PQA examples. Also try and read your examples to a friend or family member.

Good luck with your interview let me know how you get on, if you need any more info just give me a shout.

PS I start my training next week cant wait.

Offline spartan

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 11:37:26 AM »
how you gettin on number 25?

Offline Clevelandfire 3

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 11:23:05 PM »
As an old dinosaur who perhaps is a bit sceptical I grow tired of these new full fangled interview techniques where hopeful applicants say the right things and display all the right virtues of being a firefighter, but fail because they dont use the correct buzzwords the panel is looking for.

It is a sad state of affairs and potentially good firefighters fall by the wayside due to this ludicrous way of interviewing people. I do dispair.

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 10:03:24 AM »
Cleveland, Cleveland, Cleveland.....

What ever shall we do with you?

It is the modern way! It ensures that Human Resources get the people they want, as opposed to someone like yourself being able to make the decision. The last thing they need is someone with experience dictating what makes a good firefighter. That will not help HR meet their targets!

It is not that important how fit/brave/hardworking/experienced/goodatyourjob you are. It is far more important that you know what to do if you offend someone by offering them a ham sandwich.

Offline Cat

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 11:48:14 AM »
What if you don't like ham sandwhiches??  :D