Author Topic: DFS transfer to LAFS  (Read 26453 times)

Offline RLFACTOR

DFS transfer to LAFS
« on: October 15, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »
I am a wholetime firefighter employed by the defence fire service I would like to become wholetime for a county brigade however the only way of doing so i am told is to leave my current brigade go through the selection process and do another wholetime course. Why is it that i cannot transfer from one to the other? I have been investigating IPDS and there seems to be nothing to stop me but whenever i phone and ask i am told that i would not be eligable! even though we do the same job just on different station grounds! Our training is virtually the same except DFS undergo an aircraft crash phase all the DFS training meets home office standards and goes through the manual A-Z where LAFS seem to miss certain bits out?

Please can anybody shed any light on this and advise me on what to do!

Thank you

Chris Houston

DFS transfer to LAFS
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 03:16:41 PM »
RLFACTOR,

Thanks for joining and using the forum.

It get's complicated if we have identical messages in more than one area, so I've taken out the other one.  Hope you don't mind too much.

Chris
Site Admin

Offline Cut Fire Service Pay

DFS transfer to LAFS
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 06:12:58 PM »
I think it depends which brigade you apply to. DFS training is to a very high standard and like you say it is done by the book, they even still do the live ladder carry down. I would try another brigade as I know of quite a few DFS lads that have joined LAFS.

Offline RLFACTOR

DFS transfer to LAFS
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 10:16:27 PM »
Thank you for your reply i will have another scout about! I live in hampshire and am also retained at my local station I hear this is another route in using the intergrated personnel development system so will kepp my ear to the ground.

Any more info is very welcome!

Offline docfin

DFS transfer to LAFS
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 11:05:29 AM »
I know this doesnt really answer the thrust of your question but have you thought about joining your local retained section (with your background they would probably bite your hand off) and then try to transfer into WT perhaps via the adc route. I know you could do the adc thing anyway but at least with your local retained section  you would be able to make some good contacts. I know this is a cumbersome and unsatisfactory way to do things but it might help.

Offline docfin

DFS transfer to LAFS
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 11:09:23 AM »
rlfactor . Sorry, had a bit of a condor moment there and missed one of your posts please disregard the last and I will try to read things properly in future.

Offline bignorman

DFS transfer to LAFS
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 02:22:36 PM »
RL, I know as a fact that certain brigades allow direct transfers from the DF&RS(A). Two of my colleagues have recently transfered from DF&RS(A) to local authority, both were retained with the brigades they transfered into..
If you want more info, then feel free to email me.
Cheers

Offline RLFACTOR

DFS transfer to LAFS
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 07:42:34 AM »
Youve been e-mailed!

Offline Firewolf

DFS transfer to LAFS
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 11:08:37 AM »
Its absolutely ridiculous that DFS can not be allowed to transfer into Local Authority Brigades.

I'd have a word with the personnel department of the local Fire Authority you want to transfer to. Ask them to put in writing why they won't except a transfer - this should ruffle a few feathers -if you get no response write directly to the Cheif Officer and the Chair of the Authority.

The DFS is a Fire Service formed under the provisions of the Fire Services Act 1947 (now the Fire and Rescue Services Act).  

As you correctly stated DFS Personnel are trained in exactly the same way as local authority firefighters because that Act sets out the minimum training standards required for MoD / Home Office Fire Services.In simple terms the DFS is just like another County or Metropolitan Fire Service

Surely if they allow transfer of personnel between Local Authority Brigades (ie brigades which fall under the Fire and Rescue Services Act ) then they must allow you to transfer across.

Im not militant person but if were you Id play the discrimination card and ask the Fire Authority in question explains why you cant transfer.

No one likes to rock the boat with a potential employer, but by the same token they have to play the game too!.They can't discriminate, and in my humble opinion thats exactly what they are doing!
BE ALERT BE VIGILANT BE SAFE  (c)

DFS transfer to LAFS
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 03:24:23 PM »
Just to add another twist to the story, I know of many WT Ffs that have gone from LAFS to DFS, without the need to re-train. So there shouldn't be any sort of issue with going DFS to LAFS.

Offline RLFACTOR

DFS transfer to LAFS
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 09:42:35 PM »
Yo pete-p which brigades did the people you know transfer into?

DFS transfer to LAFS
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 05:13:14 PM »
Im sure they were, leicestershire, Northants, Oxfordshire & London or possibly Essex.

Offline bignorman

DFS transfer to LAFS
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 09:06:35 PM »
RLFactor,
I now know that a lot of F&RS's are not only looking into this option, they are also making moves to allow DFRS to apply in the normal fashion that a LA person can.
After all, under IPDS a firefighter is a firefighter.... The DF&RS is in the process of implementing IPDS (As are many local authority brigades).
As the DF&RS mirrors the standards set by the ODPM, LAs are recognising this.. Any more info on this, feel free to email me.
Cheers.

For your info, I'm currently serving with the DF&RS and I am in the process of transfering across to LA..

Offline RLFACTOR

DFS transfer to LAFS
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 02:16:33 PM »
Cheers for your help big norman...
 where are you currently stationed with the DF+RS and what brigade are you trying to transfer too, could you advise me on what i should start to do in the way of getting the ball rolling< do you know of any brigades where DF+RS fire fighters have already successfully transfered across,

Cheers mate any help is much appreciated.

RLFACTOR

Offline bignorman

DFS transfer to LAFS
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005, 09:52:37 PM »
Have emailed you with some info..

I do know that Warwickshire and Leicestershire recruit from DF&RS, two of my colleagues have transfered across this year...