Author Topic: PQA's  (Read 65307 times)

Offline smudger

PQA's
« on: March 05, 2006, 12:57:38 PM »
My brigade has recently introduced this PQA's carry on for a selection process for job vacancies, does anyone out there have examples of the answers that are required as the brigade will not show us what they expect us to use as our answers and we are all left wondering what the bench marks is that we have to achieve

Offline fireftrm

PQA's
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 04:38:06 PM »
See www.fireservice.co.uk and don't expect model answers, if you haven't got the right answers then you haven't got the necessary PQAs. Simple really as the answers should be your own experiences and the way you handle them, if you haven't the experience, or handled them wrongly then you haven't the right qualities. Look at the bulletin board too.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline dave bev

PQA's
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 04:58:00 PM »
fireftrm - i do have concerns when a brigade uses a process that isnt clear to those involved in the process - even more so when i am constantly 'informed' of processes that are introduced at a 'whim' and on occasion contradict the whole process! (who operates the fire service uk site - let me know privately if necessary)

smudge - fireftrm has pointed you in a 'direction' that may help - i would suggest you question why you are taking part in a process you dont understand - is it your fault or the brigades - only you can answer that cos you know if any opportunities were offered to you with regards to unerstanding the process.

dave bev

Offline smudger

PQA's
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 10:39:46 AM »
Fireftrm-I Think i do have the experience that is required but my problem with the PQA's is that in the last selection process guys were being marked down for using words like we instead of me and I instead of we.All i would like to see is what is required in relation to the wording of an answer. The brigade have been unwilling so far to produce any examples so we are all left in the dark.

Dave bev-I am taking part in this process as this is the way the brigade is going, I want to get a substansive post so i can then start to look towards the next level.i have been temporary for a year now as well as others in the brigade and the brigade are hoping to get all the temporary post filled by summer.i am not alone in feeling confused by this whole process, we had a meeting last week about r2r and at the end questions were raised by the majority attending the meeting about the PQA's and what level of answer is required.

Offline Cut Fire Service Pay

PQA's
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 01:52:16 PM »
I take it by PQAs you mean those daft questions that everybody makes up the answers to? !!

Give an example of this that and the other... Describe a time..... What nonsense do you have to offer this role......  have you been in a difficult situation other than this interview....

All a load of piffle! I got my last job by giving the pannel the answers they wanted to hear, I didn't think a word of it was the truth! If I hadn't given those answers then i would't have got the job, crazy.

How can you find out about someone by asking these daft questions? Most of the lads i work with have twigged on to the stuff these people want to hear and are passing these interviews but my point here is, what is the point? I have never seen the value in
rank to role and ADCs and don't think I will be able to progress any further as a result.

Sorry for being so negative.

Offline moss man

PQA's
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 08:51:58 PM »
Just adding to what seem to be negative comments.  I am also a little bemussed by these PQA's that somebody somewhere has thought of.  when you read these PQA's and look at them in depth they are a load of educated jargon, aren't they?  I am a firefighter, yet when I recently went for a job interview (which lasted a good 45 mins) I was never once asked how good I was at fire fighting, RTC rescues, water rescue, first aid, or anything else that a fire fighter has to do in a split second on the fire ground.  These kind of things are what makes a GOOD fire fighter, not filling in paperwork or spending time ensuring they have the correct PQA's.  If you are a good fire fighter then you WILL have what is required from the PQA's, yet that is not enough.  I understand the importance of change and the ever modernising fire services (hey, thats a PQA, see with out knowing it I fulfill one of them) but there is a point where these interview panels have to consider how good you are on a fire ground through experience on the fire ground.  

Oh, by the way I failed the interview to transfer brigade as I hadn't enough experience with diversity.  Well I thought I had, but not enough to fulfill the appropriate PQA!!!!!!!

Offline Nearlybaldandgrey

PQA's
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 03:44:13 PM »
PQA's are the way all interviews will be.

The national firefighter selection process is now based on PQA's, so it's here to stay and something you have to take on board and get used to ... all part of IPDS.

Having been both an interviewer and interviewee under this, I see both sides. The object of them is to ascertain how you behave in certain situations, using your own experiences. They are not just produced on a whim ...... they are properly researched and have been around in industry for a long time. To quote a line from the training I received ...... the best indicator of future performance is your past behaviour.

I accept that to pass the interviews seems difficult, but you must have an understanding of the PQA's themselves in terms of what they are asking. Also the interview is not one you can just blag ........ there are ways through the questioning of establishing that you are not quite telling the truth or just making something up for the sake of that time.

Information relating to the PQA's is available on the intenet or www.ipds.co.uk

PQA's
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 03:44:49 PM »
Reading these posts makes me glad I left LAFB, PQAs rolemaps, gathering evidence? Sorry lads but good luck to you.

Offline black arts

PQA's
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 07:47:33 PM »
Congratulations to me I've just been promoted by this method
I am now a Station Officer in fire safety just by answering a few questions on
planning a event or project, openess to change (whatever that is) and diversity.
No questions on fire safety, what a result!!!!!!!!!

PQA's
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 03:10:38 PM »
Well done you!!!

See, It's not that bad after all is it?

PQA's
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 08:11:47 PM »
black arts, that is my point exactly!! There are some dam awful JOs & Officers about as a result of PQAs!

Offline Leftie

PQA's
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 10:51:49 PM »
I think the PQA's are widely available, as are the behaviours that under pin them.  I just did a search on 'Fire Service PQA' via google.  Looks like the Scottish fire service have been down this route for a while.  One site gave all the supervisory PQAs, the constituent parts (constructs) and the behaviours that they are measured by  (the BARS).  They look a bit vague and generic, the tough bit will be grounding them so that people can make sense of them to write and talk about them, and to assess them fairly and objectively.

I didn't take a detailed look but I bet the word 'appropriate' features .  One person's appropriate is another person's inappropriate.

Offline Pip

PQA's
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 02:10:56 PM »
Although in principle, PQA's have their merits-its the'educated jargon' that lets them down.As an interviewer of potential Retained FF I find the expressions used in the questions 'exclusive' ie most people have not got a clue what I am asking!I have had blank looks from degree educated applicants to people with no formal qualifications but still successful business owners struggle-so it can't be their fault!Thankfully we have 'supplementary ' questions that we can ask-ie the same question in simple language!

Offline big_guy

PQA's
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 03:13:52 AM »
Im even more confused now!!...   Last year I went to the ADC, however i was not successfull in getting a job. I was given a debrief on my interview and my submitted PQA's. I was told what PQA's got top marks and what ones needed work on for next year!
I have just got word through that i didnt even get an interview this year because of my PQA's!! When debriefed on the problem, PQA's that i got top marks on last year were marked low, some as low as 40%. I hadnt even changed one single word!!
I was told by my ACO that it depends on the panel marking it, but what he assured me was that everyones would be marked in the same context!!
I thanked the ACO for clearing this misunderstanding up for me... and quietly left the room

PQA's
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 08:40:19 AM »
The marking is attributed to the skill of the interviewer and note taker.

To score, you have to hit constructs ..... behavioural traits which are supported by evidence such as quotes etc.

If the evidence isn't there, you don't get the mark. Sounds ridiculous I know, but thats the way it is!!