Author Topic: travel distance  (Read 9667 times)

Offline lyledunn

travel distance
« on: December 06, 2014, 10:07:06 AM »
we are refurbishing a niteclub. The architect has removed an alternative MOE. There is plenty of exit capacity as one wall has two large glass entrance doors but they could not be regarded as alternatives. If these doors are discounted the travel distance in a single direction is right on the money at 18m before alternative routes become available but that single direction is just to the side of the glass doors. We are talking around 300 people here. The architect is confident about his proposals but even with the exactness of regulatory compliance, I hate the idea of not being able to turn your back on a fire or indeed some other sort of emergency such as a bomb!

Offline Tom Sutton

Re: travel distance
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 10:37:37 AM »
Why are you discounting the two large glass entrance doors?
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 11:05:17 AM »
Tom asks a good question.  We don't discount any exits when assessing travel distances.  We even include accommodation routes.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 12:10:41 PM »
I think he means you cant count them along with the single exit because of the 45 degree rule.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline lyledunn

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 09:05:27 AM »
Correct Colin

Offline colin todd

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 01:45:47 PM »
Not for the first time.

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 04:22:22 PM »
Can I ask, if we treat all the exits that are next to each other as a single exit (45 degree rule) then how many other exits are there from the premises?

Offline colin todd

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 06:17:06 PM »
Can I guess, please can I guess, oh go on let me guess.

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 11:48:03 PM »
Can I guess what your guess is going to be, Colin?  I guess your guess is zero.

My guess is 12 (I'm an optimist, deal with it!).

Let's just see who's closest...

Offline lyledunn

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 08:14:51 AM »
There are two other exits available from the point of max travel set almost 90 degrees apart. Both are double door sets at around 1000 per leaf. A further exit is being considered. I do not share the architects confidence. If my little city centre restaurant was anything to go by, keeping everyone happy will be difficult. Anyway, both BC and Environmental Health are visiting site this week so hopefully we will avoid unnecessary mistakes before we get too far.

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 09:36:53 AM »
If I understand the documents correctly there are two issues here.

As far as the travel distance is concerned the 45 degree rule comes into play if there are only two exits or the exits are close to each other. The issue is could a single fire cut off both exits?

The other aspect is the occupancy of the room, in this case if the 45 degree rule applies to two exits these need to be counted as one and the discount applied to the exit with the largest capacity and the normal calculations applied from there.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 12:24:17 PM »
Bit puzzled Lyle.. If I read it right from you last post you have 4 exits in total but two may have to be counted as 1 as they are close together. So that's three exits 2m wide ie there is sufficient exit capacity for 720 persons but there are only 300 persons present?

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »
Kurnal,

If I read it right, there are 4 exits, 2 are close together therefore must be counted as one. Discount the widest exit which needs to be the 2 exits counted as one and you are left with the capacity of the remaining 2 exits.

I make it 2 exits at 2000mm wide 5mm per person equals 400 people per exit or 800 in total, again more than the 300 quoted.

Travel distance wise, more than one direction of escape, medium risk, under ADB 45m to a place of safety.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline lyledunn

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 06:14:20 PM »
sorry guys, it must be difficult to fathom what i am trying to describe without a plan. Consider the diagram in TBB describing the 45degree rule. Now consider a further wall to close off the area in which single direction of travel takes place essentially making a large room. However, there are two large glass doors in this wall which exit directly to outside. Now there is an opening in this wall to one side which is 4m wide. This opening allows access in to a larger area which is still part of the room. There will be at least two alternative exits in this room each circa 2000 wide. So effectively there are 3 exits altogether counting the glass doors. There will be around 300 in this adjoining area resulting in an occupancy of 600. My issue is, how can it be that 300 people are allowed in part of a room which effectively has only one direction of travel until occupants arrive at the 4m opening. i have been restricted to 60 in the past in rooms that have two exits and where travel to the exits is less than 18m but the 45 degree rule could not be met for all.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 07:57:01 PM »
Give us a sketch it would be much easier. Example http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii506/twsutton1196/page24.jpg
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.