Author Topic: Fire risk assessments in vacant units  (Read 10348 times)

Offline hammer1

Fire risk assessments in vacant units
« on: March 03, 2015, 10:14:16 AM »
What are your thoughts on the legal aspect of conducting FRA's in vacant units. We have FRA's t units if they become vacant to alter the fact change in use of building and reflect this in FRA as we need to cover visitors, contractors etc. Apart from a property safety aspect, what is the legal duties here in regards to review.

Offline nearlythere

Re: Fire risk assessments in vacant units
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 01:51:09 PM »
What are your thoughts on the legal aspect of conducting FRA's in vacant units. We have FRA's t units if they become vacant to alter the fact change in use of building and reflect this in FRA as we need to cover visitors, contractors etc. Apart from a property safety aspect, what is the legal duties here in regards to review.
Is the legal requirement to review so as to keep it up to date? Not annually or bi annually just to keep it up to date?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 07:59:39 PM »
Legal aspect of conducting FRA's in vacant units, could be as follows,

Art 2. States "premises" includes any place and I believe vacant units falls within that definition. Art 6 "Application to premises" doesn?t exclude it. Art 3 as it is not a workplace so the managing agents or the owner is the RP. Art 5 (2) applies; consequently the RP is subject to art 8 and 9 for relevant persons (see art 7.6).
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 09:08:11 PM »
Isn't the FRA an assessment of risks which the "relevant person" is exposed to. Not many relevant persons in vacant units. Shouldn't be to hard then.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 06:18:38 AM »
Isn't the FRA an assessment of risks which the "relevant person" is exposed to. Not many relevant persons in vacant units. Shouldn't be to hard then.
But there could be relevant persons not in the premises.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 09:19:48 AM »
But there could be relevant persons not in the premises.

I agree, but realistically unless the building or its contents create an exceptional risk there still isn't much to be done. I rarely see any consideration for persons not in the premises in FRA.

Offline Fishy

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 03:33:12 PM »

...unless people are employed in a way that means they visit them occasionally (security, maintenance etc...)

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
If the building has vacant premises and occupied premises couldn't the vacant ones pose a threat to the occupied ones, whose employees would be considered relevant person to them. I do agree it would be a simple FRA and would most likely, not need to be recorded.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 01:44:29 AM »
Some good points made above.  I'd just like to add that there are not many vacant units that do not receive occasional but regular visits for either security or maintenance purposes.  These occasional visitors are likely to be employed, the vacant unit is their workplace (for the time being) and so the RR(FS)O is likely to apply. 

One important point with these units is that very often the occasional visitors will unlock the way they enter but leave locks, often padlocks, on all other possible exit routes.  That is, they often put themselves in long dead ends.  This is not likely to be a problem if the unit is empty and the electrics are off but it could be a problem if, for example, there is an accumulation of post by the entrance they used, i.e. the only one that's unlocked, or if fire loading remains in the premises generally. 

There are, of course, a number of solutions to this potential problem.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 09:29:06 AM »
Some good points made above.  I'd just like to add that there are not many vacant units that do not receive occasional but regular visits for either security or maintenance purposes.  These occasional visitors are likely to be employed, the vacant unit is their workplace (for the time being) and so the RR(FS)O is likely to apply.

I agree a vacant premises is subject to the RR(FS)O because of art 6 (2) Subject to the preceding paragraph of this article, this Order applies in relation to any premises. and art 6(1) doesn't exempt it.

But I disagree, considering it as a workplace because of the occasional employee, this would mean when a plumber works in your house or you turn on of the bedrooms into an office, you are then subject to the RR(FS)O. I believe you have to look at the principal use of the premises, if the principal use is a vacant unit then then it remains a vacant unit until the principal use changes to a workshop.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:30:42 AM by Tom Sutton »

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 11:13:27 AM »
I have carried out FRAs in vacant areas within a large building. The client wanted 2 areas addressed, the first was what was needed to keep the area safe as it was i.e. the piles of letters etc. and then what general issues would need to be addressed if the area was brought back into use.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 11:21:36 AM »
The workplace argument is not relevant. The Fire Safety Order applies to all premises except those listed under article 6.

Domestic premises are not covered by the Order  and the fact that you have a plumber working in your house fixing your central heating makes no different, its still domestic premises and the Order does not apply.

An empty and derelict building (other than domestic premises) is still covered by the Order and the Responsible Person has duties as set out in article 5.

Offline Messy

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 10:04:56 PM »
An empty unit with just neighbours either side, and with or without security visiting from time to time will surely not present too much of a risk, so complete a simple FRA and set the reviews to 2 or 3 yearly as not to be too much of a burden

Offline Owain

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 07:16:46 PM »
provided it stays vacant and doesn't get turned into a cannabis factory or a dump with old tyres and gas cylinders etc.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 06:53:57 PM »
Is it the west midlands then?
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates