Author Topic: Fire risk assessment or fire safety audit  (Read 13607 times)

Offline idlefire

Re: Fire risk assessment or fire safety audit
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 08:53:47 PM »
Is PAS79 and audit or an assessment? Discuss

davo

I don't like to say this on a forum that Mr Todd subscribes to but, the author of PAS 79 introduced a "decision tree" (PAS79-2012, p.23) into nationally recognised guidance/standards, for where situations don't comply to current benchmark standards.

This concept was further reinforced in nationally recognised guidance/standards by the author of the Purpose Built Flats guide and, I expect, will be further reinforced by the author of the Specialized Housing guide.

The real question is: are risk assessors and/or Article 26 inspectors competent enough to apply this "decision tree" or are they merely competent to apply the guidance prescriptively?

Offline Fishy

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 09:29:59 AM »
The figure mentioned simply tabulates a process that I would expect most fire risk assessors offering their services on a commercial basis to follow.  You'd probably sensibly choose to adopt something along the lines shown whether you'd read PAS 79 or not.  There are parts of the table that I wouldn't necessarily have put in myself, but that's just a matter or personal opinion (there's always more than one way of skinning a cat).

So... yes, if they're offering their services on a commercial basis, or are tasked as enforcing authorities under Article 26 of the FSO, I would expect them to have the capability to follow the table if they chose to use PAS 79 as the basis of their activities.

Just to be pendantic - a PAS is not a 'standard', not are they necessarily "nationally recognised".  They can be considered for conversion into a standard, though, at the end of the initial review period (usually 2 years).  Having said this, PAS 79 is well-used within our industry & (in my view) they ought to consider conversion in this case, as it would only help improve rigour and consistency if it achieved the enhanced status of a full British Standard.

Offline Davo

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 09:41:46 PM »
Fishy, Idlefire

perhaps CT could advise who and at what level the new PAS79 is aimed at?
although retired now, I found the older versions from my time where aimed at the educated person rather than professional RAs

davo

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 10:55:11 PM »
Are fire risk assessors not educated persons?  Big Al has still got his leaving certificate of education at Bathmat Lock High School for young gentlefolk dating from 1942.  Has it somehow become invalid?
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates