Author Topic: Third Year Design Project.  (Read 9036 times)

Offline Mat Bridges

Third Year Design Project.
« on: November 19, 2003, 03:24:05 PM »
For one of my third year design projects ive decided to go "blue sky" (blue sky meaning- looking to the future) and design a un-manned reconnaissance drone that would be sent into a house/building/warehouse fire and asses the situation, and contents etc before anyone is sent into the building.

It would be extremely usefull to me to have your opinions on such a device and whether you think it would be a benefit to the fire service in the distant future.

Many thanks,

Matthew Bridges

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 09:35:25 PM »
Mmmmmm

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 01:25:36 AM »
Nice idea shame about the Lego set.

Offline Mat Bridges

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 09:14:31 AM »
Whats the lego set got to do with it?!!
Mate, if you havent got anything constructive to say, keep ur opinions to your self.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 11:36:28 PM »
Nothing better than hands on. Robots are ok if you have time but quite often the quicker you can get to work the smaller the job will be. I can only see a use for them in chemical or explosive incidents, not day to day firefighting. Also when most chiefs are struggeling to provide basic equipment I don't think one will buy a robot. :?:

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2003, 06:22:59 PM »
OK, here's something constructive.  It's a stupid idea.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2003, 12:14:51 PM »
Don't be put off by those people who still have their heads in smoke hoods and bellows sets. Try visiting the Japaneses Fire Department web site and see what they have available.

I can see lots of uses for this type of unit, I mean what did the army think about the robot used in Northern Ireland when it was first introduced. I used something similar in the Falkland Islands for burning out mines and it saved having to put personnel into a hazardous area.

Some of the uses may be:

Hazmat situational evaluation
Terrorist and suspect package response
Unsafe building fire fighting

Keep looking forward!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2003, 07:55:17 PM »
Try looking at recent issues of Technical Rescue magazine they had an article on this very subject

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 10:48:31 AM »
Think about the most basic principles of this idea.
Power source; not a problem.
Radio control; possible problem due to dead areas caused by structure of building but more importantly cross channel interference by other radio equipment such as hand held comms(there are only a limited number of frequencies licenced for emergency service use)
Imaging; major problem. i don't know your background but current imaging technology in the Fire Service is still not perfect for example in a smoke logged building using a current TIC what you see through the lens still needs to be interpteted by the operator particularly when walls are the same shade of grey as the cielings and floors. A human with their feet on the floor can easily distinguish which shades of grey are horizontal and vertical but you will have to address this problem for a drone operator on the outside who might mistake a floor for a wall or indeed up for down.
The idea sounds completely ridiculous but what the hell. People used to be hung for thinking the world was round.
Good luck.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 10:50:37 AM »
I saw an advert for one of these things once. I think it was being put about by DERA (the MOD research people) who are a private company now.

It was similar to the bomb disposal type robots that the army uses I think they were aiming it at wharehouse fires.