Author Topic: Displaying warning signs in the event of a fire.  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Tom Sutton

Displaying warning signs in the event of a fire.
« on: August 29, 2006, 09:42:39 AM »
I have been out the job for 10years plus and need some up to date information about displaying warning signs in the event of a fire. In the dim and distant past I remember something about companies asked to display such signs for the benefit of responding crews. I received the following query and can anybody bring me up to date.

Could you please advice as to whether or not we need to display warnings that toxic gases / vapours will be released in the event of a fire?
The scenario is as follows;
We use an electromagnetic test room that is lined with an electromagnetic absorbent material called ECCOSORB AN759. The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) section 5.3 carries the following information;

Special exposure hazards:
      -   May burn
      -   On heating: release of toxic/combustible gases/vapours (hydrogen cyanide, acrolein)
      -   On burning: release of toxic and corrosive gases/vapours (nitrous vapours, hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide - carbon dioxide)

We have a policy of evacuating the site in the event of a fire and as such our staff should not be subjected to toxic fumes but fire-fighters would be. That said, it is my understanding that fire-fighters would be using breathing apparatus when entering the building to tackle a fire as a matter of course therefore signage would be irrelevant.
I would very much appreciate your advice on this matter.
Thanking you in anticipation
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.