Author Topic: Mobility Scooters in communal areas  (Read 18116 times)

Offline davincey

Mobility Scooters in communal areas
« on: March 31, 2009, 08:26:06 AM »
Hello all

Forgive me if I am repeating a previous topic (so hard to keep up!!) but I need some information.
Like many other housing authorities, we have avoided dealing with the problem of residents keeping their mobility scooters in the communal areas of flat blocks due to its potentially volatile political fallout!
However, I now wish to take a stand (hopefully not my 'last'!) and deal with the problem. In order to do this I need to gather as much information as I can concerning fires caused by or related to mobility scooters.
I know there was a fire in a flat block in Luton last month that was attributed to a mobility scooter being charged in the communal area but have been unable to obtain anything other than a basic story, despite contacting the BFRS.
If anyone has any pictures/reports/facts relating to fires caused by mobility scooters I would be very grateful... I need all the ammunition I can get!!!

Offline jokar

Re: Mobility Scooters in communal areas
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 08:06:22 PM »
I believe there have been some fires in Sheltered Housing complexes as well but have no details.

Offline Big T

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 03:50:25 PM »
Whilst I can't provide details on fires involving I can let you in on our procedure which may give you ideas.

All Sheltered schemes must carry out a risk assessment on any mobility scooter stored in the communal areas.

It is forbidden to charge the scooter in the communal area. All charging must be carried out inside the flat by removing the battery and taking it inside the individual flat. In addition batterys must be removed form scooters when the residents are at home to prevent them catching fire. This essentially removes the ignition source and just increaese the combustible loading in the corridoor.

Where possible scooters should be parked in areases seperated by fire resisting structures, just as BS recommends for the sighting of furniture in the corridoors.

Where possible Scheme managers will attempt to find an area outside the scheme where a Scooter park could be erected and where charging areas could be built. We have made budget available for this to occur.

Offline davincey

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 04:13:17 PM »
Thanks for that Big T. Can you clarify;

It is forbidden to charge the scooter in the communal area. All charging must be carried out inside the flat by removing the battery and taking it inside the individual flat. In addition batterys must be removed form scooters when the residents are at home to prevent them catching fire. This essentially removes the ignition source and just increaese the combustible loading in the corridoor

When you say 'forbidden'; can you tell me what forbids it?

Offline Username

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
Big T, do they really remove the batteries every night!!!

I appreciate we have a hazard in the form of mobility scooters, but what is the probability of it being realized?

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 11:06:33 PM »
I appreciate we have a hazard in the form of mobility scooters, but what is the probability of it being realized?
Undoubtedly very low. But the consequences would be very severe in many situations.
Based on gut feeling rather than evidence, I wonder how many of us would feel the risk is tolerable?
Now if they were the landlords mobility scooters, fully maintained to a schedule etc etc that may be one thing. But if they were privately owned it may be another.

Offline Big T

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 03:53:20 PM »
In real terms in isn't about whether they do or not. It is about whether we can prove to the investigating Fire service post fire that we told them to remove the battery.

They are forbidden by the scheme manager and it is part of the tennancy agreement.

Offline Username

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 04:28:31 PM »
But if it isn't monitored and enforced then I would think M'Lud would still be unimpressed.

Only my thoughts though.