Author Topic: Inner Rooms  (Read 27090 times)

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Inner Rooms
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2007, 07:30:20 PM »
I am starting to compile a list of errors in the fire safety order guides. Its to help me in possible future appeals/ legal cases because the local magistrates appear to be treating the guides as ACOPs and sacrasanct. I think that if I produce a list of errors in the documents it will help to discredit the code huggers arguments when push comes to shove.

Do we have any consensus on the comment on page 73 of the sleeping accommodation guide?
I think the bullet point that says "The inner room should only be used as sleeping accommodation if smoke detection is provided in the access room" is a mistake.

It would not be permitted for alterations or new buildings under the building regulations approved document B paragraph 3.10 b. I personally have a lot more confidence in the AD than I do the guides.  I would be very nervous about justifying inner rooms as bedrooms in hotels and guest houses. All opinions welcome.

Offline Ken Taylor

Inner Rooms
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2007, 08:18:49 PM »
A few 'problem areas' might include listed historic buildings used as hotels/guest houses and hotel suites where, if the situation is considered acceptable in risk assessment, smoke detection in the access room would be essential. However the bullet point seems to need 'beefing up' to emphasise that an inner room should not normally be used for sleeping accommodation unless entirely necessary for reasons of this nature.