Author Topic: Green break glasses  (Read 26442 times)

Midland Retty

Green break glasses
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2008, 03:32:50 PM »
Ah. . . you see thats your fault Dr Wiz old chum - you said and I quote:-

Quote from: wiz
M.R. was talking about a disguised method of releasing the electromagnetic lock by persons autorised to do so. In these circumstances such a device should be called a 'disguised request to exit switch' and it's purpose should never considered to be an acceptable alternative to the purpose required of a green box/emergency door release switch.
I.e. you said request to exit switches are not to be used for emergency door releases which is what thew me... but then I realised you were talking about Public Areas.

We of course both fully agree request to exit buttons can be used for emergency door release subject to a suitable risk assessment in araeas where they are to be used by authorised persons.

But should request to exit buttons be called that when used for emergency release? Perhaps "My bottom is on fire please relase now switches" would be more appropriate!!!!

I now fully understand where you are coming from and whoreheartidly agree with your description, and can only apologise to Matron for the extra time she has had to spend out of hours to watch over you in the computer suite whilst you try to explain to us dullards what you meant.

To show there are no hard feelings may I invite you over to our wing for a refreshing pint of horlicks and a hearty game of dominoes?

Offline devon4ever

Green break glasses
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2008, 04:29:15 PM »
In addition to all the above, as far as I am led to believe, the Green Box, once activated, (in the event of a fire or other emergency), will allow employees to safely egress from a final exit (secured from unauthorised outside access), should the normal electronic access/egress switch or device become disabled. More importantly, this will also permit external access for fire service personnel without the use of a key or any other similar security device; and as such, (as with the Red MCP counterpart), should be taken into account  by the building manager, (or other responsible person), post-fire incident with regards to electronic re-set, replacing the "break-seal" and thus re-establishing security to the premises. Sorry but I feel this is a point worth making for those responsible for building security.
(The Stig is my next door neighbour!)

Clevelandfire

Green break glasses
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2008, 05:34:27 PM »
Dont be sorry its a very important point

Offline Tom Sutton

Green break glasses
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2008, 07:51:12 PM »
This thread has been around the houses some of the time and some animosity but it has made me realised just how out of date I was on this subject. It’s prompted me to do much needed research to bring me up to date and was a great teaching aid. Thank you all very much, carry on being pedantic this is how we learn.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Clevelandfire

Green break glasses
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2008, 10:39:25 PM »
i think you are referring to me and wiz's converstaion, my aim was never to be pedantic, instead it was to question his logic, but it was our pleasure anyway lol