Author Topic: Principles of Fire Safety  (Read 26897 times)

Offline steve walker

Principles of Fire Safety
« on: September 24, 2005, 03:08:23 PM »
Would anyone like to have a go at listing the fundamental principles of fire safety? By a principle I mean, "a basic generalization that is accepted as true and that can be used as a basis for reasoning or conduct".

I still fondly remember several I was taught when I joined the army 26 years ago: Maintenance of the aim. Surprise. Concentration of force. All round defence. Defence in depth. - Sorry waffling.

Associated with this are the assumptions that come with those principles. For example; that the fire will only start in one place; that people will act sensibly and lawfully.

I suppose the first thing is to define the aim of fire safety.

Anyway, anyone fancy having a go?

Steve
The views expressed in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of my employer.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:48 PM »
Nope.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline steve walker

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 07:19:43 PM »
Oh go on.
The views expressed in this forum are personal and not necessarily those of my employer.

Offline colin todd

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 07:36:42 PM »
Nah. Take too long.

Offline steve walker

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 10:27:37 PM »
Ok, how about:

Fire safety - The measures designed to protect people and property from fire.

Principles:
 Logical - based on reason.
Consistent - free from self-contradiction.
Understandable - the meaning is clear.
Verifiable - based on evidence.
Proportionate - measures proportional to risk

Offline dave bev

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 10:54:23 AM »
which people?

Offline steve walker

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 06:27:20 PM »
All people (including firefighters)

Offline colin todd

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 11:50:49 PM »
Or are they included (as much as Dvaey would like).

Offline steve walker

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 05:50:51 PM »
Quote from: colin todd
The 2 doors are not there to double the FR. They are there to mininize the passage of smoke. its one of the principles you wanted to learn.

Colin,

I am always willing to learn. Please direct me to a publication that clearly states the principles. I am really after fundamental principles rather than good practice or general advice. Maybe they arent listed anywhere - I havent located them. It would help our industry if we agreed what the "Principles of Fire Safety" were.

Offline colin todd

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 01:40:07 AM »
Steve, at what level are you seeking this. Fire engineering or very basic stuff. I mught be able to make some suggestions if you could elaborate.

Offline steve walker

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 04:53:45 PM »
I was hoping that the fundamental principles would be the same for both. I am happy looking at any document. I think that there is a hierarchy of principles. If "Fire Safety" is broken down into parts - fire prevention, fire fighting, occupant escape, property protection etc then each part will have a different definition and different principles. However these principles should not conflict with ones higher up the hierarchy.

Actually I think my original definition would be improved if it read:

Fire Safety - The measures designed to protect people, property and the environment from fire.

Offline colin todd

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 01:55:17 AM »
Hmmmmm. too much to discuss in a BB. Its a bit like saying tell me the principles of health and safety or tell me the principles of electrical engineering. You need a basic textbook from the sound of it. You could try my publication called Fire safety. A guide for management, about which I provided info to someone else in the BB in another thread, and I think we got him one at a discount.

Offline Brian Downes

• 'he must always carry his appliances with him'
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 09:05:10 AM »
I am that man!
I am currently using Colin's book to teach a new employee the dark arts, sorry first principles.
An excellent publication for the purpose it is too.
My collegue is not from  a fire service background so I have found the book takes everything in a logical order at just the right depth  to be effective.
I understand Colin wrote the book for Managers in Industry, but I think it is a great primer for anyone entering the profession in a workpace setting, on a non degree training route.
Probably cheaper and better than an Iddly piddly diddly squat course at Hogwarts...Book review over!
Magna est veritas et praevalebit

Offline steve walker

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 09:32:16 AM »
Colin, I have looked at your book and I found it full of good advice and information. However I did not find a clear, concise list of the principles that I seek. The reason that I am going on about this is that I think that they would be a benefit for us. If we were able to clearly identify these principles we could, for example, apply them to the guidance coming from ODPM. The guidance could be judged in a more objective way and hopefully a better product would be produced.

But we need to start on solid uncontroversial ground. In spite of the fact that most of this site is full of argument I think that there are core principles that we can all agree with.

The principles that I have listed above (Logical, etc) do not give direct fire safety advice. But their application will assist the production of effective fire safety measures. I think that they are applicable to the fire engineer or the "competent person."

Offline Brian Downes

• 'he must always carry his appliances with him'
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 10:03:37 AM »
Steve,
         You obviusly did not seek a spiritual interpretation whilst reading the book...you maybe need to spend some time actuallty sat at the feet of one of Guru's.
I am sure the famous Mr. Todd could oblige, or maybe Ian Gough who contributes regularly to this forum.
The first principles are more a state of mind than a set of rules.
No ground is completely solid or uncontroversial...if it were we would all be out of jobs...Local Authority & Private Sector!
Seek enlightenment in the Craft Grasshopper
Magna est veritas et praevalebit