Author Topic: Airport Fire fighter  (Read 110525 times)

Offline White_elephant

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2008, 10:37:22 AM »
Maybe, however Tuesdays in Yarm are always a good excuse for a feel! LOL!

Offline Yeebsy

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2008, 04:25:52 PM »
Typical, one track mind. You are one mucky pup W_e. I'm surprised it's not fallen off yet!!
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline White_elephant

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2008, 05:05:22 PM »
LOL!
How rude you are making me out to be a right man whore!
Well actually..... now you come to mention it!
Now go prepare you're lectures! ;-)

Offline Harwichfire

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2008, 07:30:20 PM »
i have my fitness and hopefully interview at stanstead on 23rd June. I have had an interview for la fire service before in surrey at passed it, but still quite nervous, What sort of things are the asking. Is it the questions like, "tell me a time when you have helped someone else to achieve a goal?" also have the mentioned when you have ot have medicals? is it as and when aplace comes up or before you go on the waiting list?

Just some general questions aswell if anyone knows. what is the current pay at stanstead? and how much holiday do you get? and finally, if we get in and have to go to the training school in Teeside i think it is. is that residential?

Offline White_elephant

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2008, 10:10:27 AM »
Have a search about there are plenty of interview tips on here fella, look at the recruitment pages.
Secondly, Teesside is residential.........

Offline firedaven41

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2008, 03:28:43 PM »
Hi White_elephant

Thanks for your answers! I am fairly happy with my written test results, but struggling a bit with my fitness at the moment! Training hard every day, but still not  quite there yet, with only 2 weeks to go! Any tips?

Offline Fireguy1230

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2008, 05:15:26 PM »
Firedaven41,

What is it that you are struggling with?

Offline White_elephant

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
Stick with the CV stuff and forget the weights side of things, do a interval run, say you do 5kms, do 500m fast, 500m slow, that sort of thing, buid up the distances and speeds, but for gods sake dont over do it!!

Offline firedaven41

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2008, 01:15:58 AM »
It is the CV stuff i'm struggling with. Have been practising the Bleep Test twice a week, with training in between. I am managing level 8 ok, but obviously there is still a way to go!! I am hoping shear determination will get me through!

I am beginning to get a bit soar now though!

Offline firedaven41

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2008, 08:13:20 PM »
After saying how confident I was with my written test results, i spelt sore wrong!

Offline White_elephant

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2008, 09:34:16 AM »
Ha ha! Dont worry about that fella, they cant fail you on spelling!!
Keep going with the CV stuff pal, pop into your local gym and get a bit of advice.........

Offline pukka

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2008, 05:07:40 PM »
hello all,

i have a question i was hoping that any serving baa firefighters may be able to answer.

i know that when ferrovial took control of baa they stopped / tried to stop the final salary pension to all new employees. did this happen? if i am successful and get offered a job as a firefighter with baa what pension can i expect to get if i serve until retirement? i know it will vary on how high (or not!) i get in the service, and will i be contributing to it myself? apologies if this is well published somewhere but ive looked and cant find it!

kind regards,

Offline White_elephant

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2008, 05:35:21 PM »
Its not been decided yet, so currently you will get the deal we are on now...........

Offline Yeebsy

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2008, 05:40:56 PM »
Pukka, at the moment the 2 thirds final is open to all contracted staff, however, the company want to stop the final salary pesions scheme to new starters. This has not happened yet as the company is still in talks with it's members. If they do go down this route I have no idea what new members will be offered. Still I doubt anything concrete will happen within the next couple of months so if you are quick enough you may just scrape in. Even then from what I've read, if the company stop final salary to new starters it appears that the final salary for existing members will only be garanteed for a maximum of 12 years.

As for contributions, we all put into it and I believe it's about (for me anyway) 6.5%.
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline firedaven41

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2008, 07:45:47 PM »
Thanks White_Elephant, much appreciated!