Author Topic: Significant difference between the old BS5839-4 and EN54-2  (Read 6936 times)

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Significant difference between the old BS5839-4 and EN54-2
« on: March 04, 2015, 10:37:24 PM »
I came across this very significant difference between the old BS5839-4 for CIE and EN54-2 today that took me by surprise. I wonder if others have noticed the difference or is it me thats been sleep walking?

I was demonstrating a newly installed CTec 8 zone CFP panel to the staff of a care home. I was surprised to find that when I silenced the alarms there was no buzzer sounding in the panel to prompt me to press the re-set button. The only difference was that the red fire indicator and zonelamps became steady instead of flashing. Checking with the installer and manufacturer I was told that the requirement for the panel buzzer to sound had ceased with the demise of BS5839-4. I checked EN54 and found this to be true- by default - it just does not specifically state any requirement for this.

This surprised me as the old part 4 was absolutely specific on this and the fire at Oldfield Bank Nursing Home (where the staff walked away from the panel leaving it in silence mode as no buzzer was sounding to prompt them) and the subsequent prosecution of the alarm engineer over the lack of such a buzzer (amongst other things) indicate that such an audible alarm is a Very Important Thing. Have I been sleepwalking or has anybody else any concerns over this change?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:40:55 PM by kurnal »

Offline kurnal

Re: Significant difference between the old BS5839-4 and EN54-2
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 08:14:14 AM »
Further research into this has led me to the following conclusion.
There will be many care homes with old conventional panels that are at the end of their working life. These old panels would have been compliant with BS 5839-4:1988.

Whilst the current BS 5839-1 would recommend addressable alarms for care homes, if the old panel falls over it is likley to be replaced in a hurry with a simple replacement "conventional" panel which will be compliant with EN54-2.

Engineers changing panels in this way should be careful to explain to the staff a significant difference between the old and the new standards- that on silencing the alarm sounders and before the system is re-set EN54-2 DOES NOT require an internal buzzer to sound as the old 5839-4 required.

This creates an important training point that needs to be brought to the attention of all staff. Otherwise there may be a potential for staff to walk away without re-setting the panel.

A reference to the fire at Oldfield Bank Care Home Altrincham may re-inforce the point.

Offline Owain

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 12:35:16 PM »
Engineers changing panels in this way should be careful to explain to the staff a significant difference between the old and the new standards- that on silencing the alarm sounders and before the system is re-set EN54-2 DOES NOT require an internal buzzer to sound as the old 5839-4 required.

Does EN54-2 prohibit an internal buzzer? Are any panels available that do have an internal buzzer or could be wired to an external local buzzer?

Given the sometimes high turnover of staff and the frequent use of 'bank' staff who may work across different premises and providers in care settings, it seems imprudent to rely on staff remembering when they can rely on a buzzer to remind them and when they can't.

Offline kurnal

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 03:32:03 PM »
No EN54-2 doesnt prohibit use of a buzzer, the trouble is that it does not specfically require one so due to market forces most current panels do not provide one.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 10:01:14 AM »
I agree with your concerns they don't seen to consider the interface between the CIE and the staff, if and when a fault occurs. A similar situation applies with self test, self contained EL luminaires, BS EN 62035:2012 allows LED's to indicate a fault but does not require an audible means, it just says it can be used. Most staff would not understand what the LED's means but an audible sound would at least get them to report it, just to shut it up. Without an audible device the fault could remain for a considerable period, until the maintenance staff conduct an inspection which could be monthly, despite the manufacturers suggesting daily which is never going to happen.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.