Author Topic: Fire Service Harassment - Definitive Guidance.  (Read 9121 times)

Offline oilybum

Fire Service Harassment - Definitive Guidance.
« on: February 28, 2005, 04:14:47 PM »
Linked to the aol hometown journal "Suffolk Hyde Affair" is another Suffolk based fire service resource called "SubO X" It gives some very interesting insights into what sort of fire service behaviour is accepted as being deemed to be harassment.
Possibly a useful tool for anybody concerned with harassment to check out. Just put "SubO X" into a search engine to find it or go by the link below.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/nameandshameuk/SubOX

Offline maineroad

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 05:21:07 PM »
I need help, i have been threatened by a senior officer reduced in rank & now face a medical retirement from my brigade.This is ALL true who do I turn to Im a FBU member of 20 years but they seem to be intimidated by the CFO.

Offline dave bev

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 07:14:39 PM »
try your fbu branch rep or speak to kevin brown - brigade sec - although if you have been reduced in rank he may already know about it??

email me on oncs@fbu.org.uk with contact details and i will contact you tomorrow and hopefully point you in the right direction

ps - yes its me!!

Offline oilybum

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 08:41:36 AM »
Maineroad your situation is by no means unique. From my own experience the intimidation of the FBU by the CFO is I think (my first thought) more likely to be apathy rather than intimidation. In particular, when these individual problems are raised they are usually passed on to Thompsons who then often come back and say well there is nothing we can do about it. So the FBU pass that on to the member with the credibility/legal of opinion of solicitors to say we can't do anything.
This is not helped by trade ideology that the organisation has a collective mindset. i.e. the FBU or trade unions are more interested in issues when a large number of peolpe are involved. So straight away as you are one and it is a problem that only effects you they are sometimes slow in coming forward to help.

Finally, the FBU is also great if you break a leg and will get you compensation. Why? because such claims are manna from heaven for solicitors with almost 100% guaranteed payouts. Try putting in a claim to the FBU with regard to a non physical injury and the response will likely be slow and very chilled.

My only advice is to get a legal aid form in to the FBU. At least then they have to get back to you and acknowledge you. Also use the resources now available on the web and elsewhere so you don't fall into the traps which were detrimental to them before you who have suffered the same way as yourself. In the end tough it out for as long as you can to increase your pension and then get out before they make you ill.

Offline ellitore

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 08:55:06 PM »
A bit late in joining this one, but here goes.

I was suspended just before completing 30 years service. After contacting my brigade FBU Sec., his comment :

"If I were you, I would be ****ting myself."

I spent over 100 days of my suspension, without a word from anybody

Chris Houston

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 09:10:34 PM »
Quote from: ellitore
A bit late in joining this one, but here goes.

I was suspended just before completing 30 years service. After contacting my brigade FBU Sec., his comment :

"If I were you, I would be ****ting myself."

I spent over 100 days of my suspension, without a word from anybody

Why did you get suspended?

Offline oilybum

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 07:38:34 AM »
Ellitore. Re the 100 days is probably related to the fact that those responsible for your suspension needed the time to workout how they were gonna undermine you and destroy you.

Offline ellitore

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 01:06:22 PM »
Re; Chris Houston & oilybum:

I can't say as yet, because 2 years later the 'problem' with the particular station still goes on. You'll have to wait until the end of August!

There is no doubt, they undermined me. The only thing, I can say is that I have since retired with a full pension . An investigation never took place and I was never charged with any misconduct.If you think SUFFOLKHYDE is incredible, you've not seen anything yet.

Chris Houston

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 01:08:40 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's different in the FRS world, but suspenstion doesn't actually mean you did anything wrong, just that they are prepared to pay you to do nothing, although typically pending an investigation or something like that.

You did get all benefits (aside from being able to work) while suspended?