Author Topic: Rank markings  (Read 17744 times)

Offline Lee999

Rank markings
« on: August 03, 2005, 02:24:29 PM »
The Brigade i am with recently did away with rank markings.

Have any other Brigades done the same?

Offline Matt Akers

Rank markings
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 06:29:35 PM »
Do you mean rank markings on uniform and helmets?
Any of my posts are in no way endorsed by my Brigade. Stay safe!

Offline fireftrm

Rank markings
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 06:48:44 PM »
I would imagine on non-PPE as it is not meant to be used on any other than PPE now, Fire service circular on Role Insignia. Note these are for roles not ranks............

We did away with markings about 5 years ago, except on PPE (helmets)
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline b217bravo

Rank markings
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 09:13:18 PM »
A silly question,probably, but how do you distinguish between different levels of management without rank/role markings on undress uniform?
What is so wrong about an identifiable heirchy? FRS are supposed to be  uniformed & disciplined.
Can't imagine the police or forces doing away with rank markings, note that these organisations still refer to ranks & not roles.
Can anybody put forward an argument to convince me that the service is better served by replacing ranks with roles.
geoff

Offline Peter Wilkinson

• http://www.thefpa.co.uk
Rank markings
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 09:59:20 PM »
Maybe it is a silly question.

I manage to recognise my company Chairman, and am able to successfully distinguish him from the Managing Director.  Is it so different in a modern F&RS?
(all the stuff I said above is purely my own personal view and in no way represents any official view of my employer)

Offline dave bev

Rank markings
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 10:20:53 PM »
i cant help geoff sorry!

even with my involvement you would think i could be 'sold' but sorry - the thing is most people believe that ipds could only be delivered by introducing 'roles' - i believe that ipds could still have been introduced around the old system which clearly didnt work (guffaw, guffaw).

i do have a few other personal views but im not sure this is the place for them.

as for rank markings - havent we done that in a previous thread?

dave bev

Chris Houston

Rank markings
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 10:30:48 PM »
A few discussion have covered this before (Search for "Rank Markings") using the [SEARCH] feature.

Comprehensive guidance was contained within the following thread:

http://www.fire.org.uk/punbb/upload/viewtopic.php?id=348

Offline fireftrm

Rank markings
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 05:21:11 PM »
My FRS is still here and managing quite well without rank markings/role insignia. Strangely we do not need some pidgeon c**p on our collars to be managers, just as Peter suggested. Maybe those who do are in the worng positions?
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

messy

Rank markings
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 10:20:42 AM »
London's training officers have just ditched their white shirts and rank markings for maroon polo shirts with an embroidered LFB badge.

I have heard that there are some managers (ADOs also wear this 'Burger King' rig) who are getting a bit fed up with being called 'mate'!

Also, they look sh1te, especially on those more..ahem!.. fuller figures.

Is this modernisation????

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Rank markings
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 06:58:54 PM »
If I do training for the mighty LFEPA, will I get a free maroon shirt?
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline Paul

Rank markings
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 09:08:52 PM »
I'm afraid I'm a little old school and think that loosing rank markings is just the start of the rocky road to the fire service being run by 'managers'.

Oh now what have I said!!!

Offline fireftrm

Rank markings
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 08:00:54 AM »
The rocky road? Well get the suspension sorted because we are on it already. At least we have only brought in external managers and not consultants, so far. Out of interest just examine the 'Deputy Chief Fire Officer' of Cheshire, she was a solicitor with the County council. Now 'DCFO' she is pictured wearing the full regalia; so even using the old rank markings did nothing to stop an external manager coming straight in at a principal level with your service! Funny how this appointment, allowed by the replacement of previous 'through the ranks' Regs with to role, had someone appointed to a RANK and with the uniform to go with it! Personally I believe that there are plenty of good mamagers who could ebter the service at every level - but in a role, ranks have gone, so please play the game.

Offline dave bev

Rank markings
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 12:19:16 PM »
i wonder how many brigades are going to stick with the term 'commander' (as was previously expected when this work on 'roles' started way back in the 'nineties' - as opposed to using the modernised 'manager' term)? after all we have an incident command structure (within the ic system) - incidents need to be commanded not just managed!

dave bev

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Rank markings
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 06:02:11 PM »
Firey, thats the first posting of yours ever that has got me excited. God , I love women in uniform. Perhaps Mr Smith, coming as he does from Cheshire, could get me an intro.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline fireftrm

Rank markings
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2005, 07:52:29 PM »
Oh Colin, I am so pleased. Maybe we got off to a bad start, but your hapiness is really at my heart!