Author Topic: Airport Fire Service - Careers  (Read 14619 times)

Offline Ty Rees

Airport Fire Service - Careers
« on: February 13, 2008, 11:07:04 AM »
Hi there i'm currently in the Royal Navy and i'm a Leading Airman (Aircraft Handler) and i'm considering leaving after doing 12 years and i'm interested in joining the Airport Fire Service in Cardiff as its closest to my home. Been looking on all the websites and there is not much info in how to get in to that sector.

Do you fine folks know of anyways of getting info on this career path? As i have years of experience in doing Airfield Crash Rescue & Firefighting would i have to do any courses to join if there are any vacancies??

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Offline cbfire999

• www.firesafety.org.uk
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 09:08:37 PM »
You might wish to consider the bridging course at Teeside.  A bit costly, but you will get the CAA ticket out of it.

Offline Ty Rees

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 11:05:28 PM »
what is a bridging course? I have signed up to receive £2000 a year for "bettering ourselves through the Armed Forces" so that should cover it??

cheers

Offline devon4ever

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 10:22:47 AM »
Damn, cant find the link but thats cos I'm too old to remember what I did yesterday, but I came accross a website advertising for firefighters at Plymouth airport, its undergoing a facelift to extend short-haul services to more UK cities, again sorry I cant paste the link but try a search for it and by the way, good luck for the future, (from an ex-stoker circa 1972)
(The Stig is my next door neighbour!)

Offline Ty Rees

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 11:21:24 AM »
Hi thanks for your post. Had a look at that site but the only place i found that are recruiting is the Highlands in Scotland. I've emailed Cardiff Airport today to find out info so touch wood they will be in contact with me. Do you know what kind of pay package they are on?

Thanks for your help again.

Offline Darren Burley

• http://www.sarffs.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 06:19:45 PM »
I went on the 1st ever bridging course at Teeside in Dec 05, course is 2 weeks & was designed for RAF, Royal Navy Firefighters going into general aviation & is designed as a refresher course. I have been a retained local authority Firefighter for 10 years & got a full time position as Ff at a Cat 2 aerodrome.
I gained my Cat 2 certificate on station during a 2 week course (recognised by CAA), went to Teeside 9 months later with 3 others from same aerodrome & 5 ex RAF boys.. This course covers extinguishing media's, aircraft construction, basicaly what you would cover on a 6 week recruits course, you should be able to get this info from the IFTC website.

Good luck..........

Offline stuart f

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 11:43:02 AM »
AircraftHandler79,
Cardiff Airport do recruit about once a year, my mate is still waiting to hear from them, he passed the interview and waiting to hear from them, good or bad thing as he is still in limbo. I know about three personal that work there and they are on good money about £23000-£25000 per year, shifts are 12-13 hrs days and nights.
Then there is Bristol, Exeter and Newquay which are in the area you could be looking, I have not been to Newquay yet, but for me it is a travelling issue that I have to consider.
I completed the 6 week course at Teeside which is awesome, been back twice for Low Cat JFO and BAI.
But Airport owner is quite happy to run at Cat 1 and also take Cat 2 with 24hr notice, this bumps up his earnings too. The Airport has got potential to go up a cat or 2. I think this might be a little help for you, keep checking they're web-sites. Keep chipping.

Offline lee cuthbertson

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 12:13:36 PM »
Hi,  anyone any information on when Glasgow may be recruiting again.  thanks.

Offline gaz2222

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 06:19:16 PM »
Help please,i've got my written exam at manchster airport soon,how hard is it?whats it all about?how many other stages are there and what are they?what is the shift pattern?and how much would i get paid on average per year including shift allowance and what not?