Author Topic: Low Cat Training  (Read 25449 times)

Offline yellowjacket

Re: Low Cat Training
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 03:04:07 PM »
The P3 bit just refers to it's particulate filtering (P3 is the highest level), additional filtration levels are required for vapours.

Offline Chunty

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 10:54:24 PM »
Thank you yellowjacket

Offline FC1

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 10:57:48 AM »
Sorry Chunty, Yellowjacket beat me to it.  P3 filters only filter particulates (MMMFs) and not for vapours / smoke.

Offline stevfire2

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 01:23:43 PM »
we use 3ms 9332 mask. comfortable but definately not fire/flame proof. CAA inspector at last audit was happy but made sure we were aware its not a fume mask. difficult to select anything else thats compatible with our headgear (gallet).

Offline Chunty

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 09:42:50 PM »
Slightly off topic, but what you just mentioned about the Gallet helmet reminds me that a year ago when we were in the process of testing new gear before deciding on what to purchase, we tried a Gallet F1, which is produced by the MSA group, and were surprised to find it was not compatible with our MSA BD96 Ultra-Elite facemasks, how odd, two products by the same company designed for the same part of the body that don't work together.

As a result we are still stuck with our flipping horrible Cromwell F500's, any ideas?

I do some commercial training as well outside of my normal work on a sub-contract basis for the purposes of which I bought a US style Cairns 1010. This is the cheaper end of the North American market but it's by far the most comfortable and robust helmet I've ever worn, it works easily with the BA mask and ... it looks good!

Offline yellowjacket

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 11:03:52 PM »
I've noticed a lot of BAI's tend to wear older helmets, whether Cromwell F500s or Cairns Metro type, I'm not sure if it's due to an inherent advantage, or the "grizzled veteran with a shiny grey helmet" look.... ;D

Did MSA suggest a helmet to go with their BA sets? Very unusual for a BA manufacturer not to consider the crucial helmet / facemask compatibility.

Offline Chunty

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 10:34:56 PM »
Yellowjacket you've completely sussed me out, I've always liked the look of those US style helmets and the one I bought was for no other reason than to massage my ego, there's a confession for you LOL! But in truth it is the best helmet I've ever used, and there's been a few over the years going all the way back to that cork nonsense that used to slide all over your head.

The sales rep who brought the kit was from a commercial supplier not direct from MSA, and as a retired FF himself he was as mystified as us that our BA masks didn't work with the F1 helmets. Having spoken to more people about the F1's I am now satisfied that not making the purchase was perhaps a good thing, issues such as hearing impairment, particularly with speech and sound from behind you, have been enough to put me off, but then I've never actually used them myself.. anyone willing to speak up for the items?

Offline yellowjacket

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 11:05:01 AM »
Anyone got training exercise scenarios they've found work well? Ideally simple and definitely inexpensive to set up.

Offline Chunty

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 12:20:38 AM »
Yellowjacket; do you have any old airframes to use, any fuel bunds ... anything at all?

Offline yellowjacket

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 10:31:17 AM »
At the moment - no! :)

I'll have a pool fire tray in a couple of weeks, and the C150-esque fire simulator I was talking about at the beginning of this thread in a month or so (will post pics when possible).

I am working on getting a derelict airframe for rescue training.

I'm starting a "recruits" training programme for new club members next month, the first session will just be equipment familiarisation and basic drills.I'm really looking for sequences of exercise events for the crews to deal with once they've got past that- what scenarios tend to need the most practice?

Offline Chunty

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 07:54:11 PM »
I'll be honest with you Yellowjacket, it sounds to me like you haven't carried out a training needs analysis which you need to do for two reasons, firstly it will aid you to sensibly identify what you need to be training for based on the tasks that you're people will be engaged in at an incident, and also you need to demonstrate that you are implementing a sound system of work if, God forbid, somebody got hurt and the legal beagles came knocking.

Phrases like 'training needs analysis' and 'task analysis' sound frightening to the uninitiated, but believe me it's common sense and a highly worthwhile project. I am involved in a lot of this at a handful of lower category aerodromes and trust me mate, when you involve the whole crew in the process it really gives them an understanding of why they are doing what they do and a sense of pride and ownership in the entire function of the fire department.

If you want send me an email to a1fireaviation@btinternet.com and I can send you some advice in greater depth than I can on here.