FIRE SAFETY > You couldnt make it up!

23 storey block of flats with single staircase

(1/3) > >>

kurnal:
Single staircase discharges via single half hour door to ground floor foyer with furnished reception area and flats opening directly into foyer. No direct access from staircase to outside. The staircase should obviously be a firefighting shaft but only has half hour doors throughout. Building won international design award. Building 6 years old,  no previous fire risk asessor has raised any comment and no concerns raised through Building Regulations  approvals so as far as the client is concerned clearly we must be wrong in raising our concerns.

Golden:
No sprinklers? Some of the basic fire safety design issues that are currently ignored are unbelievable. Was this LA BC or an approved inspector?

kurnal:
AI.  Despite being 6 yrs old it was constructed to the 2000 ADB.

AnthonyB:
Yep, too many vested interests, pass any old thing, becoming more and more common - we've walked away from one such job rather than put our name to it as being OK.

Phoenix:
It sounds bad but if a number of people have looked at it, indeed built it, and considered it safe then there might be some reason for this other than them all being incompetent idiots.  Or there might not be.

I think you have to make some attempt to figure out how the design could be justified but I wouldn't spend long. 

I don't think there's anything to be gained from walking away from jobs like this, you don't have to condone other people's crap designs.  Just tell it like it is.  There are a lot of innocent people's lives at stake.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version