Author Topic: RAfiki detectors  (Read 32052 times)

Offline bibbage

RAfiki detectors
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2008, 05:00:45 PM »
The EOL is set on the DIL switches and then the det or bgcp flashes to let you know that it's the EOL.
Cheers
Bibbage

Offline John Dragon

RAfiki detectors
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2008, 05:51:36 PM »
Detectors
one flash every 5 secs = EOL
one flash every 20 secs = OK
one flash every 1.5 secs = faulty detector / loose chamber
rapid flashing = detector in fire condition

call points, no flash = ok (or not connected!)

I hate these things, the theory is excellent but in practice - yeuch!
We make lots on call outs tho.

Offline Thomas Brookes

RAfiki detectors
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2008, 07:45:02 PM »
Yep you are right, I only yesterday had a phone call from someone asking if we can have a look at there fire alarm system fitted just over a 1 year ago and it keeps going into fault. Aparently the electrician who fitted it says he only gives a years warrenty and does not do maintenance.

Guess what it is  "Yep Rafiki"
I refuse to have a battle of wittts with an unarmed person.

Graeme

RAfiki detectors
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2008, 08:37:14 PM »
The only Rafiki i have commissioned i got the pleasure of getting the manual thrown at me by the sparky.
he had done his job-run all the cables on top of the suspended ceiling. used nylon ties throughout. not set up any sound levels or detector types. Guessed the spacings.

etc etc

according to him all i had to do was "blow smoke into everything"

and in aacordance with Rafiki recomendations-no cable routes on drawings and i had an open circuit fault...

the big irony in this is the site i mentioned before is gardiners who are currently flogging FIA courses to us all to prove our competance and pushing BAFE but sell systems obviously aimed at sparkies with none of the above.

Offline Thomas Brookes

RAfiki detectors
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2008, 09:54:52 PM »
Graeme,

You don't use gardiners do you?. Great for getting your staff through the FIA courses but as for back up and prices you really can do better, have you tried EU fire, if you want a company where they have really good expert knowledge on fire equipment they are really good. Pm me if you want further details.

Offline Wiz

RAfiki detectors
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2008, 10:01:50 PM »
Quote from: Graeme
The only Rafiki i have commissioned i got the pleasure of getting the manual thrown at me by the sparky.
he had done his job-run all the cables on top of the suspended ceiling. used nylon ties throughout. not set up any sound levels or detector types. Guessed the spacings.

etc etc

according to him all i had to do was "blow smoke into everything"
The commissioning engineer always runs the risk of upsetting the system designer or system installer. It can also lead to a loss of future business.

This is because the general term 'commissioning' has a defintion of 'putting into operation' to most people whereas the BS term includes much more.

An offer of a Fire alarm commissioning service to BS should clearly include a description of what it includes (this will also go someway to explain the 'high' cost) and specifically that deviations (I used that word purposely so it isn't confused with variations) from BS will be included on the certificate and explained in such a way that the commissioning purchaser realises the implications of those deviations being recorded.

The question I ask is should a 'businessman' also offer a service that basically involves just 'blowing smoke into everything' if that is only what the customer wants? (as long as the customer clearly realises that this is not a BS commissioning)

Offline Thomas Brookes

RAfiki detectors
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2008, 10:19:50 PM »
I suppose it depends how you set your stall out. I can only comment on my company, but we are doing less and less commissioning now but, as we hold the British Standard Kitemark to BS839-1 we will only carry out commissioning to BS5839-1 nothing eles. And yes we have often failed work carried out by people who give us quite a lot of work. I recently failed a job one of my very best friends had installed, although he was disapointed he did appriciate my reasons and then put them right.

Graeme

RAfiki detectors
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2008, 04:48:54 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Brookes
Graeme,

You don't use gardiners do you?. Great for getting your staff through the FIA courses but as for back up and prices you really can do better, have you tried EU fire, if you want a company where they have really good expert knowledge on fire equipment they are really good. Pm me if you want further details.
Thanks Thomas

use them now and again but not for the main products, mostly because of what you have mentioned on price.

Graeme

RAfiki detectors
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2008, 04:50:38 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Brookes
I suppose it depends how you set your stall out. I can only comment on my company, but we are doing less and less commissioning now but, as we hold the British Standard Kitemark to BS839-1 we will only carry out commissioning to BS5839-1 nothing eles. And yes we have often failed work carried out by people who give us quite a lot of work. I recently failed a job one of my very best friends had installed, although he was disapointed he did appriciate my reasons and then put them right.
same.

i end up upsetting a few contractors when they get the certificate that reads more like an essay but i won't put neck on the line for their lack of knowledge and corner cutting.

Offline smoke monkey

Re: RAfiki detectors
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2009, 02:01:47 AM »
Best thing for rafiki in my humble opinion is a lump hammer.
A childs toy car seems to have better quality build ?? ( alledgedley ) than some of the rafiki detection i have seen.

Offline Thomas Brookes

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2009, 06:00:13 AM »
Only this week i had a pub manager phone us. " can you come out and have a look at our fire alarm, its only been in a couple of years".
Arrive at site, its Rafiki.

Offline Galeon

• Dont ask me on here for advice , come down the Pub
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2009, 07:23:16 PM »
Any Rafiki system we have inherited gets ripped out , as the client is fed up with call outs , we always use Protector Alarms as we have never had any aggro with their stuff in over 20 years.

Its time to make a counter attack !