Author Topic: Weekly fire alarm testing in care homes  (Read 17166 times)

Offline Paul2886

Weekly fire alarm testing in care homes
« on: June 20, 2008, 11:20:29 AM »
Just had a phone call from a home to say they must take down the notice that says the fire alarm test will take place every Tuesday at 11.00am. The maintenance chap says its not allowed as it makes the staff complacent. Any thoughts...thanks

Offline Tom W

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 11:31:35 AM »
You don't want to make staff complacent but its when you are running a fire drill that you don't want to be telling people when its going to be happening

With a weekly bell test it surely doesn't matter if they know when its happening or not, in fact its probably advisable if you have door retainers so they know to get out of the way

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 11:50:50 AM »
I agree - leave the sign where it is

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »
Quote from: Paulm2886
Just had a phone call from a home to say they must take down the notice that says the fire alarm test will take place every Tuesday at 11.00am. The maintenance chap says its not allowed as it makes the staff complacent. Any thoughts...thanks
The maintenace guy is,IMO,talking through his hat. Weekly tests should be done at the same time and day every week so that staff know that it is a test and do not respond in full fire mode.
It means that they have no excuse in not reacting to a genuine activation of the fire alarm system.

Midland Retty

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 12:12:08 PM »
Quote from: Buzzard905
Quote from: Paulm2886
The maintenace guy is,IMO,talking through his hat. Weekly tests should be done at the same time and day every week so that staff know that it is a test and do not respond in full fire mode.
It means that they have no excuse in not reacting to a genuine activation of the fire alarm system.
Not only that if staff know the time and day the alarm is tested they can report back any faults for example Mrs Mopp the cleaner says to Joe Bloggs the manager: "I was on the first floor and I never heard he fire alarm go off"

Offline Wiz

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 01:21:36 PM »
A fire alarm warning device test should be carried out at the same time and day every week for all the very good reasons given above.

The time and day to do this is not 3pm on a Friday. Trying to get a maintenace company response in these circumstances might result in fault rectification works having to be carried out in overtime hours and at a weekend.

The best times for the determined fire alarm warning devices test is between 10.00 -12.00 either Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. I can tell you that experience shows me that any faults revealed by the tests will be rectified quicker and cheaper by following this advice

Offline lingmoor

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 04:21:49 PM »
What they said

Offline Wiz

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 04:33:17 PM »
But did they explain why this is good practice? Was it even anything relevant to the original question asked?
I thought I would add my comment here for those who have never given this matter any thought and still carried out their alarm warning device test on Friday afternoons 'just to ensure everything is o.k. for the weekend'
Is this o.k with you or should I have started a new post?

Offline jokar

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 06:26:36 PM »
Don't forget that a test should be done for night staff as well so the sign may say another time as well.

Offline lingmoor

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 06:36:06 PM »
Quote from: Wiz
But did they explain why this is good practice? Was it even anything relevant to the original question asked?
I thought I would add my comment here for those who have never given this matter any thought and still carried out their alarm warning device test on Friday afternoons 'just to ensure everything is o.k. for the weekend'
wiz...who was that aimed at?

Offline Izan FSO

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 11:01:49 PM »
Say nothing Wiz.... i dont think any one noticed....i wont tell if you wont

Offline lingmoor

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 12:33:40 AM »
Quote from: Izan FSO
Say nothing Wiz.... i dont think any one noticed....i wont tell if you wont
oh ok... righty o

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 02:11:35 AM »
jokar, why does the test need to be done for the night staff? Surely the pupose of the test is to check that the alarm system is working. Now as for a fire drill then yes you must ensure the night staff know what to do, but I can't see the need to test the alarm system for its operation at night.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 09:43:56 AM »
Quote from: Mike Buckley
jokar, why does the test need to be done for the night staff? Surely the pupose of the test is to check that the alarm system is working. Now as for a fire drill then yes you must ensure the night staff know what to do, but I can't see the need to test the alarm system for its operation at night.
It is so all members of staff know what the fire alarm sounds like.
However,in the case of care homes it may be better pcratice to rotate the night staff on to one day shift or have the test at a time when all staff can attend (actually,in the case of care homes etc. the fact that most staff work shift patterns makes the same time/same day test a bit unworkable,doesn't it?)
Anyway,in general and from Part 1 Section 44.2 -

b) The weekly test should be carried out at approximately the same time each week; instructions to
occupants should then be that they should report any instance of poor audibility of the fire alarm signal.

c) In premises in which some employees only work during hours other than that at which the fire alarm
system is normally tested, an additional test(s) should be carried out at least once a month to ensure
familiarity of these employees with the fire alarm signal(s).

Chris Houston

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 11:38:53 AM »
What should be done where a public address system is used?