Author Topic: Weekly fire alarm testing in care homes  (Read 17166 times)

Offline Wiz

Weekly fire alarm testing in care homes
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 12:54:34 PM »
Quote from: Izan FSO
Quote from: Wiz
I thought I would add my comment here for those who have never given this matter any thought and still carried out their alarm warning device test on Friday afternoons 'just to ensure everything is o.k. for the weekend'
Is this o.k with you or should I have started a new post?
Say nothing Wiz.... i dont think any one noticed....i wont tell if you wont
Well spotted Izan. I won't. I think he's only trying to get his 'number of posts count' up anyway.

Offline lingmoor

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 01:47:47 PM »
Wiz

I really don't know if your barbed comments are aimed at me but I'm too long in the tooth to worry about playground antics. If it is me (and I'm assuming it is because you followed my post) I was agreeing with the comments of others that had posted above me...sorry if it wasn't a long winded technical answer but I didn't see the need...others had said it all before me. As for your ridiculous comment about 'post counts' do you really think people are that childish...if so I suggest you grow up a wee bit lad.

I'm reading on here that you are an electrician of some sort...well done that's nice...me, I have 26 years experience in the Fire Service many years operational and many years in a dedicated fire safety field in charge of a department...and since retiring carrying out many fire risk assessments...

Not that makes me better than anyone else of course....in fact some on here could put me to same with their technical knowledge without reference

So you can take your snide little comments sonny and stick em where the sun don't shine

hope that helps :D

ps..come over onto uk-fire ;)

Chris Houston

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 02:32:51 PM »
ladies/gents,

I dont quite follow this thread, I've obviously missed or miss understood the insult/allegation/joke.  Or maybe there wasn't one. Either way, its a nice Sunday so let's all chill out a bit please. Before anyone else posts in anger why not wait till the next day and then ask yourself how sensible your angry words seem then. Cheers,

Chris

Offline lingmoor

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 03:08:44 PM »
Quote from: Chris Houston
ladies/gents,

I dont quite follow this thread, I've obviously missed or miss understood the insult/allegation/joke.  Or maybe there wasn't one. Either way, its a nice Sunday so let's all chill out a bit please. Before anyone else posts in anger why not wait till the next day and then ask yourself how sensible your angry words seem then. Cheers,

Chris
Ok Chris...but It's Saturday :)

Offline Galeon

• Dont ask me on here for advice , come down the Pub
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 03:41:44 PM »
Transmit test message before fire/evacuation message
Its time to make a counter attack !

Offline Wiz

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 04:35:47 PM »
Lingmoor, it is easy for people to misunderstand comments on forums and take them the wrong way.

I will admit to being a little bit sarcastic with you because of your comment to my original post.

On reflection, after reading your recent explanation, maybe I did misunderstand your original post and took it as a sarcastic response to my own. Therefore I apologise to you for my own sarcasm in reply.

However, if I now read your post as you say it was meant to be, then it now means that your post actually was to be read , but in other words, 'I agree with all the above'. I now suggest to you that such a post doesn't add anything of use to the thread. No one knows who you are and so you can only qualify your advice with an explanation of why you give it. I would accept that if you had said 'I have 26 years experience in the Fire Service many years operational and many years in a dedicated fire safety field in charge of a department...and since retiring carrying out many fire risk assessments and I fully agree with all the above posts' then this might have been a worthwhile addition. I would respectfully put it to you that your post - What they said is not much of an addition to the thread. I hope you can see this? That I misread your post because it was immediately after my own is surely understandable in the circumstances.

I accept that many of my posts are long-winded. This is for many reasons but mainly because I find some of the shorter posts are open for misinterpretation or leave many obvious questions unanswered. I also believe that some people reading this 'open forum' have little technical background or fire service experience and need a fuller understanding of the many facets of the subjects discussed. I believe that this can rarely be achieved in just a few words. I generally restrict my own posts only to the technical and those general areas of other subjects because I have no knowledge or experience of those other areas. For example, I wouldn't know how to put out a fire if it reared up and burnt me! However I consider my knowledge and experience in some areas to be of worthwhile assistance to some readers of this forum. Like many others I give this input free-of-charge on this forum, whilst being able to charge handsomely for it in my 'day' job. I trust those members who already know what I am explaining, to understand that I realise this and not to take it as me trying to teach them to 'suck eggs'

Whilst sincerely apologising for my sarcasm due to misunderstanding your original post, I am disappointed with the tone of your last post to me. I was tempted to respond in a similar vein to correct a few of your wrong assumptions, but too many of these forums have been destroyed by childish personal battles between members.

I decline your invitation to join uk-fire for obvious reasons.

Clevelandfire

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 06:41:13 PM »
This thread is completely confusing - what sparked off all this? Wiz who are you to say what is or is not of benefit on these forums? Why is a short reply so bad ? I think some of us need to grow up a little and stop being so pinikitty - this is what happened on the green boxes thread so time ago. Wiz you accuse others of not being descriptive enough in their explanations and that unclear posts cause confusion to people who may not know much about fire safety.

Surely if someone doesnt understand something they will say so and ask for a better description in laymans terms. Or they will say from the word go that they need advice. If I agree with something on here i will normally post something like "I agree" does that  add anything to the forum? yes, it shows a concencus is forming amongst people. On another forum im on i posted a problem i had with my car. One guy replied and told me what he thought the fault was. Other people wrote that they agreed underneath which gave me the confidence to go with what that man had said. And sure enough he was right.

Time to get off your high horse Wiz we are all different. Just cos you think something isn't right or isn't explained very well doesn't mean others feel the same. Perhaps you need to read posts properly before replying and I can fully understand why lingmoor was a little put out and said what he said.

Chris Houston

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 07:44:01 PM »
"what they said" is a perfectly legitimate psot to make. At the end of the day when any of us post nobody really knows if we are qualified or not. Its a public forum and all opinions, short or long are welcome. I think wiz has taken the **** a bit first time round, I think lingmoor has reacted in a rather inappropriate manner. So that's 1 each. Move on now please gents. I'm sure you are both able to do so without any more sarcasm or insults.

And oops, it is Saturday. Working from home all week...what can I say....

Offline lingmoor

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 07:52:51 PM »
Ok folks

The truth is my 'what they said' post was a little light hearted reply...just my sense of humour

I didn't realise it would bring such responses...especially my own

apologies to all

Clevelandfire

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 09:37:17 PM »
Accepted but erm what did it mean? in response to what ?

Offline Wiz

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 07:05:22 AM »
What they said

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 07:40:01 AM »
Glad thats cleared up then :D

Offline Wiz

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 09:17:34 AM »
"what they said" is a perfectly legitimate post to make. ....
Chris, I am disappointed that you think it is legitimate in this context. I will try to prove why I think this is so over the next few days. Please bear with me.

Midland Retty

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 09:25:28 AM »
Quote from: Wiz
"what they said" is a perfectly legitimate post to make. ....
Chris, I am disappointed that you think it is in this context. I will try to prove why I think this is so over the next few days. Please bear with me.
Can we not just move on and let it go?

Chris Houston

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 10:01:55 AM »
Ladies and Gents,

The conversation has moved away from the topic of the post.  So, yes Midland Retty, we will be moving on as the topic is now closed :)

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Chris.