Author Topic: Water mist systems  (Read 10688 times)

Offline CivvyFSO

Re: Water mist systems
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 11:43:15 AM »
Northern, the simplest challenge to the watermist scenario you are talking about is to ask them which standard it will be installed to. The IMO standards cannot really be used for the situation described, PR EN 14972 and the new BS/DD's all seem to rely on an element of full scale testing in order to prove that the system will work in the scenario it is to be used for. So essentially they would need to have some full scale test data to prove that it will do what they say.

Offline Northern Uproar

Re: Water mist systems
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 01:54:13 PM »
Civvy - yeah, I pretty much knew that water mist controlled the fire by working at the flame front, and it does this in a similar manner to sprinklers - ie discharging from an array of nozzles in the room and that size is largely governed by the spacing. In case I was missing something, I ran is past someone in the industry, and he called it 'somewhat flawed' (but he's a very polite man!). He also pointed out that, by the time the heads had gone off due to smoke, the pressures in the fire may have increased to beyond its design that the mist wouldn't get near the fire, plus you'd might end up with heads going off all down the mall.