Author Topic: Deaf Alert Type device  (Read 5159 times)

Offline Allen Higginson

Deaf Alert Type device
« on: September 29, 2011, 01:18:54 PM »
Any ideas on an affordable vibrating pager system?
A guy I know has been asked to provide a solution and as he only really does basic fire alarm systems he has asked me for a bit of advice.
The set up is two premises close together with an independant fire alarm in each,and a new employee who is deaf and will be working between both buildings.On paper he is going to need two transmitters and one pager but the transmitter units I have seen so far are around £1200 each (pagers are minimal cost in comparison).

Offline nearlythere

Re: Deaf Alert Type device
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 01:28:16 PM »
A guy I know has been asked to provide a solution and as he only really does basic fire alarm systems he has asked me for a bit of advice.
The set up is two premises close together with an independant fire alarm in each,and a new employee who is deaf and will be working between both buildings.On paper he is going to need two transmitters and one pager but the transmitter units I have seen so far are around £1200 each (pagers are minimal cost in comparison).
Have you tried the RNID?
If fire warning systems already installed would visual warnings not be cheaper?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 01:38:32 PM by nearlythere »
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 04:29:20 PM »

The paging system transmitters costing £1200 are those that comply with the requirements of BS5839-1:2002 +A2:2008 clause 18.2.2.

If your paging system does not have to comply to the above BS then there are a whole number of much cheaper systems available that can be connected to a fire alarm system.

Check out www.scope-uk.com

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 09:12:03 PM »
Have you tried the RNID?
If fire warning systems already installed would visual warnings not be cheaper?
That was my original response but the bells are in the circulation areas and not in the various rooms that this person could be in.
Glad it's not my project!

Offline Tom W

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 09:25:03 AM »
http://www.deafmessageservice.com/ This will do it.

All for £1000

Midland Retty

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 02:38:20 PM »
Will the hearing impaired person be loan working, or could you implement a buddy system?

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 03:37:28 PM »
Will the hearing impaired person be loan working, or could you implement a buddy system?
Had thought of that also but there may be instances when they will be in the building on the 1st floor on their own,such as the other person nipping into the nursery unit.