Author Topic: CFS Community Consultative Committee  (Read 9181 times)

Offline Peter

CFS Community Consultative Committee
« on: April 15, 2005, 05:48:13 PM »
Does anyone know of a Station setting up a ‘Community Consultative Committee’ or similar to inform – steer – provide community integration for CFS work. I am thinking along the lines of NHS or other public bodies who I believe use such  schemes. – Would it work for the Fire Service?

Offline fireftrm

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 10:28:27 AM »
An interesting thouight, though we do get involved in many local initiatives already. For example we are a statutory body within CDRPs. Worth investigating though I don't know of any already.

Out of interest we no longer have any CFS involvement here - we only do Community Safety - the Fire bit is long gone as a model, it now forms merely part.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline dave bev

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 11:25:35 AM »
nothing wrong with the concept - however it depends on resources and continuity - if its not in the irmp then you shouldnt be wasting fire service resources in introducing it - unitl it is deemed suitable to put into the irmp. - if youre doing this when what are you NOT doing that has been planned for you to do? - the fire service needs to wake up to proper planning and therefore structuring use and availablility of resources instead of 'initiative chasing'. i look forward to the day when someone new in post says - im not going to do anything different, im going to continue following the path/course already set. if it was deemed good enough to start then it must be good enough to finish/ see to its conclusion. but then again will that help with 'career profiling'?? there are those who wont see that as actually being a good manager!!

Offline Peter

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 09:05:43 PM »
Dave
Initiative at present does not, I think, sit with management within the Service, we are being driven in different directions by different layers of Local & National Government. At a district level, the authority to say "- im not going to do anything different, im going to continue following the path/course already set." may not be mine - the evidence of a community based consultation, however may support that path/course with a bit more clout.

Offline dave bev

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 09:35:43 AM »
pete, i do understand - especially about other drivers - your point re evidence of community consultation is also valid, but my point is that if proper planning took place then all the drivers would be considered and a strategic decision made. it can be uncomfortable following the strategic line - but thats what its there for - to deliver its planned strategy. there should also be the opportunity to impact upon/influence next years strategic plan. the issue re complementing other local plans - one in particular being the local himp (health improvement) seems to be largely ignored when making fs plans - the govt drive for c&d is often the prime mover but i wish f&rs would plan effectively and deliver what they can instead of changing direction every time a bit of paper is wrtitten by someone who thinks we should 'do this/that'

ok rant over!!

i would finish by saying if it doesnt fit with management then you shouldnt be doing it - if we all went around doing what we wanted and not following the service policies it would be absolute mayhem and madness, but it must be top led and top supported - if f&rs actually monitored and evaluated the impact their cs policies have they may become a bit more proactive in the delivery of them as a policy and not a string of unconnected initiatives

ok rant over (am i repeating myself) (am i repeating myself)
lol

dave bev

Offline Peter

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 05:20:42 PM »
Dave
Thanks for you views
Peter