Author Topic: AOV  (Read 7757 times)

Offline davincey

AOV
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:37:45 PM »
Hi all

Would it be acceptable to fit an electronic door opener/closer to the roof access door of a flat block and connect it to the alarm system (with overrides on the ground floor) to act as a smoke vent?

The door in question is at the top of the single staircase and is security protected by a steel barred gate at a lower level.

Offline nearlythere

Re: AOV
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 05:17:21 PM »
Hi all

Would it be acceptable to fit an electronic door opener/closer to the roof access door of a flat block and connect it to the alarm system (with overrides on the ground floor) to act as a smoke vent?

The door in question is at the top of the single staircase and is security protected by a steel barred gate at a lower level.

Don't see why not as long as it meets the principles of automatic smoke ventilation.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 05:42:34 PM »
I agree. It would be useful to remember the porpose of these vents and remember that for their intended purpose the temperature is likely to be reasonably  cool. The operation of the door should be reliable and the interface to the fire alarm resilient, tested and maintained. Once having opened it should stay open and not close if the wiring or opener fails due to the heat of the fire to which it may be exposed. Thought should also be given to the recommendations in   BS5839 and BS7273.

Offline davincey

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 08:41:53 AM »
Thank you gentlemen (kurnal you're slipping, only second!!!)

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 09:15:54 AM »
I can get to my zimmer quicker.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 05:17:20 PM »

Even Prof. K needs to take a comfort break at some time!

Although I have heard he is currently considering installing a Firenet access point in all rooms of his chateau

Offline davincey

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 03:59:02 PM »
Wow! That could take a while....I've heard that he has a very big chateau!

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 11:17:22 PM »
Yes I am afraid it is rather large at the moment. My wife keeps nagging me to downsize but I just keep buying bigger belts.