Author Topic: Airwave - a new asbestos?  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Alasdair Munro

Airwave - a new asbestos?
« on: December 06, 2007, 08:45:45 PM »
I'm interested in anyone's experience with Airwave terminals, and potential side effects of using such.

We are soon to be using it and, having done some reading on the subject, am somewhat concerned that this could potentially become as the title post suggests, particularly with regard to the proximity of the switching frequency to that of the natural processes within the brain.

I have heard that the American military have allegedly used equipment utilising high power RF switched at a similar frequency to incapacitate persons whilst clearing caves in Afganistan

Personally, a relative works for Airwave (I used to work for BT), and they become very aggresive and defensive when I mention this subject. Although now part of a different group, they apparently still utilise the same aggresive management tactics and shady practices as their original parent companies

Shall we say that they are not known for being consistent or thoroughly truthfull

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated, given that this will affect all personnel in time.

Thanks

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 09:25:24 PM »
Out of interest what frequency is it, how powerful are the mobiles and the repeater units? Is the concern over the frequency used between mast and mobile or the main network?
Is the concern for the health of the user or the person living near the network infrastructure?
Sorry to ask so many questions but am interested to compare the issue to that of mobile phones and find out if there is any difference?

Offline Alasdair Munro

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 01:56:08 PM »
My understanding is :

Tetra works at 380-400 Mhz which is far more penetrative of the human body than the 900-1900Mhz used by GSM or 2.4Ghz used by 3G.

The switching frequency is at 17.6 Hz, which is close to that of beta waves in the brain and also the resonant frequency of calcum ions at 16 Hz.

The health effects apply to both users and those living near network infrastructure. Unlike mobile phone masts TETRA is 'always on', i.e. transmission is continuous. Each base station can have up to 4x 25w transmitters and  mobiles up to 10w. A mobile unit has the facility to act as a repeater for a mobile that is unable to connect directly to the network.

Base stations have been reported to emit a 16.6 Hz ground wave, which seems to have caused problems in Swiss rail workers and others.

There have been well documented problems in Worthing and elswhere.

Advisors to the government are most definitely not independent which is worrying

More reading is available at www.tetrawatch.net

Hope this helps.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 02:17:48 PM »
Thanks Frit. Interesting. I wonder how sensitive the human body is to these low frequency signals?

We are all exposed 24/7 to 50hz electromagnetic radiation from the power supply systems - there is some evidence building of possible health problems from living close to power lines but I  dont think  there is anything proven yet.

The fireground radios we have used for years worked on 450- 455 mHz, and whilst handsets are usually up to 1 watt  some of the repeater mobile sets put out up to 10. Mustnt forget the inverse square law when making these comparisons- a handheld next to the ear is far more significant than a 10 watt set a metre away.

Will take a look at the link - thanks.