Author Topic: IFE Level 4 Cert  (Read 12761 times)

Offline aidanjm

IFE Level 4 Cert
« on: February 01, 2011, 05:15:57 PM »
First post here having been a browser previously, have picked up a lot of information. Time to join in methinks   :)

I am sitting my level 4 cert (formerly the members) IFE exam in March - this is forming part of my middle managers entry for my brigade as opposed to ADC. Unfortunately, the decision to go down the IFE route was only formalised last December. My brigades minimum entry for middle manager consideration is level 3 but I thought I would try for level 4. This leaves me with not a lot of time to study before March but happy having the extra years to pass all 4 papers so I don't feel under pressure. 8-10 months would be a better timeframe but C'est la vie. 

Anyway, my question, after the boring background is "accredited prior learning" - I believe from reading the IFE website that they do not accept APL anymore due to varying range of qualifications on offer covering each subject.  Am I correct in this assumption?  The IFE site is a bit hazy or, perhaps I am not reading it correctly.

My current background is Fire Safety enforcement, having completed all the essential modules and have  attending CPD seminars for several years I just thought, sorry, hoped this might count for APL?

Can anyone advise please

Offline CivvyFSO

Re: IFE Level 4 Cert
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:39:37 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

I believe that you can go through the mature candidate route, (You would have to submit a proposal for a technical paper) or there is another route that looks at your individual case (Individual Case Procedure) which is based on qualifications and experience. You would have to demonstrate your knowledge/experience on the specific subjects and you would more than likely have to show that you have a good level of 'scientific' knowledge, just being FS enforcement and attending Moreton classes doesn't quite cut the mustard. (Not that I am assuming that this is all you have done)

I also believe that there is a specific reference to the old station officers exams, but I think that you still have to do a supporting statement showing that you have been working in the field, and applying engineering principles etc. (I think that the station officers exams used to give you 'automatic' members)

Offline Golden

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:03:45 AM »
Civvy the old station officers exam used to give you automatic graduates and vice versa. In the context of APL this would give entry to the members exam.

I really don't know about the current situation, I've set questions for the members recently but its an awful long time since I passed it!!

Offline aidanjm

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:15:58 AM »
Thanks for your reply guys, I will have a look at your suggestion Civvy but if I am being honest with myself I don't think there will be much hope but no harm in trying. I would not like to attain a qualification through the back door but thought my learning, knowledge and experience might count for something but then again, it would hopefully count for something if sitting the exam anyway.

Thanks again

Offline aidanjm

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 05:27:51 PM »
Would anyone happen to know when this years results will be known? After sitting the level 4 I am eager to know how badly I have done  ;D

There is nothing mentioned on the IFE website that I can find

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 04:43:26 PM »
Thanks for your reply guys, I will have a look at your suggestion Civvy but if I am being honest with myself I don't think there will be much hope but no harm in trying. I would not like to attain a qualification through the back door but thought my learning, knowledge and experience might count for something but then again, it would hopefully count for something if sitting the exam anyway.

Thanks again

Just a delayed extra point here, the individual case procedure or the mature candidate route will not get you the qualification, it just gets you 'member' status. (If accepted of course)

Offline Clevelandfire 3

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 11:59:05 PM »
But isn't member status the highest Civvy

Offline BLEVE

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 03:15:36 AM »
only if its membership by passing exam rather than merit

Offline ashleyLFC

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »
Aidanjm, regarding likley time to receive your results, in previous years results have been sent to candidates around the end of May-mid June, but with the recent bank holidays, I would personally suspect around mid June.  I am however aware the papers will be marked the week of 9th May, during a hugely intensive, cross-examined and moderated week for many exam markers and the team at IFE head office.
best of luck

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 04:40:38 PM »
But isn't member status the highest Civvy

Isn't "fellow" the highest?

Offline Golden

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 04:58:42 PM »
Membership is the highest qualification you can get by examination; Fellow can only be granted by the Institution and you must be supported by two 'fellow' members of the institution, the basic criteria is quoted below.

"Fellow grade is only available to existing Members (MIFireE) of the Institution. Successful applicants will have demonstrated significant individual responsibility, sustained achievement and exceptional professionalism during his/her career."

Offline bungle

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »
Exam results will go out in late June/early July.