Author Topic: Power point Font  (Read 6403 times)

Offline Alec

Power point Font
« on: December 21, 2014, 02:08:07 PM »
A Sunday afternoon question, do any of you guys have an opinion on which is the best power point font to use.

At this present time I use Comic Sans MS which I quite like, however a friend of mine states that, like its name its a Comic font and not really suitable for professional presentations.

I am open minded to his suggestions but to me Ariel is just boring and Lucida Console although very readable just does not look right to me. These are the two fonts he suggests.

Do you think it matters that much if the content of the presentation is good? or do you think the type of font used represent your professionalism?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Alec

Offline Dinnertime Dave

Re: Power point Font
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 02:15:40 PM »

Suppose it will depend on your audiences, English as a first language? learning  difficulties? According to "our" equalities and diversity department then arial 12, no underlining.

Boring I know.

Offline Alec

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 02:58:49 PM »
Thanks Dave,
No underlining why is that?

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 06:19:45 PM »

Not sure, dyslexia would be my guess.

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 09:35:10 PM »
Your friend was right.  Ten years ago Comic Sans was all the rage but it didn't last long.  It should be avoided at all costs, it's hideous.  Go for clear simplicity and don't worry about your font being boring, the interest and enjoyment you generate will come from your words and images, not your font!

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
Don't put text on your slides at all if you can help it.  Unless you really have to..... Put diagrams, pictures and graphics and then talk round them. No one likes to have someone read slides to them in a death by overhead style. Sometimes it is unavailable though and.... also avoid silly animation unless it adds something.
Sam

Offline Alec

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 09:38:59 PM »
Thanks for your replys

Offline John Webb

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 03:32:10 PM »
"Gill Sans" is my preference - it is a clear font and more attractive than Arial, in my opinion.

Another good alternative is "Optima", an interesting cross between a Sans Serif and a Serif font.

If it is necessary to have a list of points - introduce the points one at a time so people can't 'read ahead' of you.
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)