Author Topic: Standard passenger lifts in purpose built blocks of flats  (Read 3682 times)

Offline keithflint

Standard passenger lifts in purpose built blocks of flats
« on: March 15, 2012, 12:01:22 PM »

I have been asked to critique a FRA on a newly built block of flats, and am seeking some advice on the requirements for locating passenger lifts in purpose built blocks of flats as the guidance relating to lifts, appears (to me) to be sparse in ADB, 5508-1, 9991, CT's guidance etc

With regard to blocks of flats with a "Stay Put" policy, my understanding is that ADB does allow for standard passenger lifts to open directly into accommadation corridors (which may or may not be ventilated (according to whether they are single stair / multiple stair designs), rather than into protected lobbies, providing all other normal compartmentation etc is in place. Or at least ADB does not specifically state they are not allowed (with the paragraph of section 5.42 relating to phased / PH evacuation not relevent to Stay Put ).

Most lifts I have seen do open into protected lobbies but in light of the above I assume this because of design practicality rather than fire risk.

I would be grateful for comments that clear up any misunderstandings I may have, or add some theory behind the ADB requirements.

Regards

Keith

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Re: Standard passenger lifts in purpose built blocks of flats
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »
Keith I am going to give you a response from the hip. Haven't got time to do any research on it but I cant recollect seeing any guidance that says you cant. Personally I hate to see lifts installed in this way.

This is because the lift shaft is a vertical shaft that interconnects compartments. For any other protected shaft we would expect to see structural protection to the same standard as the compartment boundary and fire doors to half that standard. The doors to a normal protected shaft would often have smoke as well as fire seals. Lift doors never ever give any protection agaisnt the passage of smoke. To make matters worse lift doors are only fire tested against exposure from the landing side so the half and half approach normally taken on doors to protected shafts does not work. Many modern lifts are interfaced to the fire alarm and ground with the doors open further breaching the compartmentaion.

As a further aside there is a trend to use hydraulic lifts with the machine room in the shaft or at the side of the shaft on the fround floor with little fire protection and sometimes flammable oil.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:00:09 PM by kurnal »

Offline keithflint

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:41:44 PM »
Hi Kurnal,

That would be my "shooting from the hip" feeling to.  :D

Of course there is no fire alarm to connect to the lifts to in my purpose built block of flats.

My question is more specifically- Can a lift as per ADB 5.42B be installed into one of the unventilated "wings" of the building shown in ADB Diagram 7a?

The building I am reviewing has exactly that arrangement.

Regards

Keith

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 04:18:35 PM »
Having checked ADB I can see nothing to say it cant. It should be enclosed in a protected shaft, Appendix B provides for lift doors only being tested from one side and smoke seals are not required.

Our old friend CP3: chapter 4: part 1:1971 offered some good advice. It said that lift machine rooms should preferably be sited at the top of the lift shaft and should always be so sited if the lifts open out of a common approach route or staircase that provides the only means of escape from a dwelling. If only modern standards were so well considered and written.

I still dont like it but theres nowt can be done anyway in an existing building. The fire door on the ground floor in that wing will take some hammer. How many storeys?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:34:18 PM by kurnal »

Offline keithflint

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 04:33:35 PM »
Hi Kurnal, thanks for your responses. 5 storeys - ground and four upper floors. The wing with the lift in has two flats on each floor, one either side of the lift.