Author Topic: Fire Risk Assessment  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Billy

Fire Risk Assessment
« on: March 19, 2012, 09:44:26 AM »
In Scotland, Fire Crews carry out  Operational Risk Assessments or Operational intelligence visits to premises under Section 9 (2) (d) of the Fire Scotland act (I think).

If the information we collect has risks missing or incorrectly filled in, are our employers in breach of Section 53 of the act which states:

53 Duties of employers to employees
(1) Each employer shall ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the safety of the
employer’s employees in respect of harm caused by fire in the workplace.
(2) Each employer shall—
(a) carry out an assessment of the workplace for the purpose of identifying any risks
to the safety of the employer’s employees in respect of harm caused by fire in the
workplace;
(b) take in relation to the workplace such of the fire safety measures as are necessary
to enable the employer to comply with the duty imposed by subsection (1).
(3) Where under subsection (2)(a) an employer carries out an assessment, the employer
shall—
(a) in accordance with regulations under section 57, review the assessment; and
(b) take in relation to the workplace such of the fire safety measures as are necessary
(4) Schedule 2 makes provision as to the fire safety measures.

I am thinking in relation to 3 (a) which states that the assessment should be reviewed.
Fire Safety is not my forte but was curious as to how these things would pan out, should an accident occur.

Offline Mike Buckley

Re: Fire Risk Assessment
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 01:57:08 PM »
It would be interesting but I don't think that it applies to the Operational visits. This looks like the general requirement for employers to carry out Fire Risk Assessments. It would apply to the Fire Service in that they must carry out a Fire Risk Assessment of their place of work i.e. Fire Stations, but we all know they do that don't we?
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline Billy

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 03:27:06 PM »
Thanks Mike

I wasn't sure in relation to fire crews, if our 'workplace' was any premises we may have to work in, and that is why we do a detailed risk assessment for fire crews only. Could it be said that the Fire Authority is our 'employer' and when, as employees, we are fighting a fire in someones building, we are deemed to be at our 'workplace'.
I know we have to do risk assessments under The Management of Health and safety Regs but wasn't sure if the fire Scotland act also required us to do risk assessments under section 53.

With regards to risk assessments being done in fire stations- this was always the case- (Sorry, Jiminy Cricket just told me that I will never become a real boy if I keep this up) :)

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 10:52:38 AM »
If you take that argument to the logical extreme, then you are asking for the fire brigade to carry out a Fire Risk Assessment for its staff on every building it may attend inside and outside its area. This would also have to include domestic residences, vacant buildings etc.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 02:20:15 PM »
In Scotland, Fire Crews carry out  Operational Risk Assessments or Operational intelligence visits to premises under Section 9 (2) (d) of the Fire Scotland act (I think).

If the information we collect has risks missing or incorrectly filled in, are our employers in breach of Section 53 of the act which states:

53 Duties of employers to employees
(1) Each employer shall ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the safety of the
employer’s employees in respect of harm caused by fire in the workplace.
(2) Each employer shall—
(a) carry out an assessment of the workplace for the purpose of identifying any risks
to the safety of the employer’s employees in respect of harm caused by fire in the
workplace;
(3) Where under subsection (2)(a) an employer carries out an assessment, the employer
shall—
(a) in accordance with regulations under section 57, review the assessment; and
(4) Schedule 2 makes provision as to the fire safety measures.

I am thinking in relation to 3 (a) which states that the assessment should be reviewed.
Fire Safety is not my forte but was curious as to how these things would pan out, should an accident occur.
You could say that the O/C is doing this anyway as part of his dynamic risk assessment which is being reviewed periodically for the duration of the incident so as to keep it up to date.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 05:45:23 PM »
Also; after a set amount of time, or for a specific function, such as Fire Investigation, HASMAT, etc. an analytical risk assessment has to be undertaken. Add to this, tactical plans, SOP’s, generic risk assessments and safe person concept training.
Sam