Author Topic: Sprinkler head proximity to heating?  (Read 3504 times)

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
Sprinkler head proximity to heating?
« on: April 16, 2012, 04:09:38 PM »
Do you FRA / Technical FAS people out there know of legislation / regulations that restrict the distance a wall mounted electric fan heater (over a door angled downwards) should be spaced from a red bulb’d sprinkler head?

Obviously if the heater is angled to heat the bulb there may be practical reasons for not mounting a heater too close to a bulb but is there any guidance as to distance that you people know of?

Thanks in anticipation

:D
Sam

Offline Mike Buckley

Re: Sprinkler head proximity to heating?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 04:35:34 PM »
The only guidance I know is that there should be no obstructions within 500mm of the sprinkler head, but this is just the general guidance.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:12:43 PM »
Thanks Mike.

:D
Sam

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 11:14:36 PM »
This is not directly addressed in the LPC rules but I don't know about other standards. 

It's not just the heat from the heater but also the air movement that might be a problem (stopping hot gases getting to the head).  Without knowing the exact configuration it's tricky to be precise.  You might need to consider actuation temperature (red or yellow? or even green?) and possibly even the RTI of the head.  The objectives you should keep in mind are, will it go off if there's a fire, can the heater make it go off, and, if it does go off when there's a fire, will the water go where it's meant to?

There might be some guidance about it because there's stuff about HVAC systems and detector locations, but I don't know of any.

Stu

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 11:52:45 PM »
The FM datasheet 2.0 covers the control of air velocity in the vicinity of sprinkler heads but I envisaged this as one of those old wall mounted electical fan heaters. It needs to be considered in respect of whether it is an obstruction to the umbrella spray pattern of the nearest sprinkler head.