Author Topic: FRACS Warrington CPD Day- 13 Oct  (Read 19684 times)

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
FRACS Warrington CPD Day- 13 Oct
« on: October 07, 2010, 04:30:59 PM »
This looks well worth a visit

http://www.warringtonfire.net/3/271/newsdetail.html

Though theres a heck of a lot of topics to be covered- hope its not a superficial dust over! Personally I would prefer less topics but  covered in some depth.

Still it looks good so I have booked my place.

Offline Meerkat

Re: FRACS Warrington CPD Day- 13 Oct
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 10:17:27 PM »
Link doesn't work Kurnal.  Or rather it just takes you to a blank page on the Warrington site.
There's nothing simple about a Meerkat...

Offline kurnal

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 10:27:01 PM »

Offline Davo

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 09:04:31 AM »
When I rang to cancel I was told there were 91 confirmations

Did I miss anything ???

Why aren't there more postings on this ::)

davo

Offline kurnal

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »
It was a good day overall, I think the range of issues covered were designed to make one stop and think, to shake us out of out complacency and to examine  our own level of competence over a range of fire disciplines, certainly thought provoking.

It skated over a very wide range of topics some of which were new- eg the Equality Act that has replaced the DDA from 1 October, there was some discussion on sprinklers and water mist, passives,  surface finishes and fire propagation.

It left me wondering whether CPD days are suitable and sufficient to keep up with changes to legislation and  standards. I rely on CPD days but there is a need for more formal and detailed  training courses on some topics. And who should provide such courses?

And there was a cooked lunch with a pie option  and a decent range of veggie alternatives :)

Offline The Colonel

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 06:13:07 PM »
I too found it useful with some very interesting topics in the afternoon session. As Kurnal said the equality legislation and its replacement of the DDA came as a surprise for a few, surface spread of flame was also useful and the Dsear info was of particular interest as two of my clients are about to find out. With the range of topics the allocation of just 30 minutes made things a little compressed, perhaps next time it should be fewer subjects and more time on each one.

Certainly a useful day at what can only be described as a very reasonable cost, also it was also indicated that the presentations would be sent out to all attendees on CD which will be a useful reference point.

Bring on a few more. 

Offline Davo

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 07:51:16 PM »
Thanks Prof and The Colonel

Understand the next one is 12 months away, hope I'm still in the FRA trade then :-\

davo

Offline Meerkat

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 10:03:44 AM »
There was pie? I might come to the next one then...  ;D
There's nothing simple about a Meerkat...

Offline Davo

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 07:48:18 PM »
Correct Meerkat, there was  pie ::) ::)

Anyone off to Firex North?
Some interesting seminars, not sure which day to go

davo

Offline BLEVE

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 08:29:48 PM »
Can anyone expand on the topic of DSEAR?

Offline kurnal

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
The speaker referred to article 12 of the FSO and explained the relationship with DSEAR and its origins in ATEX, explaining and giving examples of the risk arising from flammable gases, vapours and dusts that should be considered in respect of both regulations.

That a Fire Safety Order Risk Assessment could not be suitable and complete unless it took account of the outcome of a DSEAR assessment under these circumstances.

The presentation did not go into specific aspects eg in terms of hierarchy of measures or zoning, it was more intended to make sure we were aware of DSEAR and the competence requirements thereof.

The speaker offered a get out of jail paragraph to put in our fire risk assessments to make it clear to the RP  that our fire risk assessment did not cover the risk arising from process or dangerous substances falling under DSEAR.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:37:15 PM by kurnal »

Offline Simon72

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 09:46:17 PM »
Kurnal,

Are Warrington fire going to offer further CPD days in the next 12 months, or sooner?

Also who was the speaker who pitched the DSEAR regs?

simon

Offline kurnal

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 10:35:59 PM »
Yes once per year. Also watch for the FIA CPD days - 4 planned per year.

It was Dave Price - Senior Explosion consultant, Managing Director GEXCon UK Ltd.

Offline Simon72

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 10:37:48 PM »
Hi Alan,

ok many thanks for that..

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 09:50:24 AM »
The speaker offered a get out of jail paragraph to put in our fire risk assessments to make it clear to the RP  that our fire risk assessment did not cover the risk arising from process or dangerous substances falling under DSEAR.

One of the principles of the FSO was to rationalise fire safety legislation and the insert article 12 which is adequately covered by the DSEAR doesn't make sense but the above get out of gaol card does seem, a reasonable way to resolve this situation. I would add a further proviso to ensure the RP has implemented a DSEAR risk assessment or in the process.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:33:31 AM by Tom Sutton »
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.