Author Topic: Airport Fire fighter  (Read 110474 times)

Offline gonzofire

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2008, 08:24:18 AM »
Hi Swiftfire,

I'm going for LGW what about you, have you checked your email yet, also log on to the BAA site and look at your emails there, goodluck.

Offline White_elephant

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2008, 09:45:54 AM »
Wel done Gonzo Fire take it you know about the possible sell off of Gatwick?
Like Yeebsy I am at LHR so if anyone wants advice on recrutiment drop me a message, I was on the 'waiting list' for 3 years befor I got a letter telling me there was a job for me, dont give up!!

Offline Yeebsy

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2008, 11:45:14 AM »
Quote from: White_elephant
I was on the 'waiting list' for 3 years before I got a letter telling me there was a job for me, dont give up!!
Not long enough if you ask me.   :)
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline Yeebsy

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2008, 11:48:27 AM »
Are you the new recruit from Exeter that's just picked up his new shiny fire kit?
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline gonzofire

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2008, 05:29:46 PM »
Hi White_elephant,

Thanks for the message and I'll email you about the interview stage, if I pass the fitness. Know they are talking about a poss. sell off at Gatwick but then they could sell off Stansted, know that a lot of people are interested in Gatwick if they do sell it, cant imagine them selling LHR, so it looks like your safe there as well as any new people who come to you. Could you send me your email address for the interview stage. Thanks for your help

Offline Yeebsy

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2008, 06:43:46 PM »
gonzofire, We doubt very much that they would sell off Stanstead as there is scope to make it a huge place, Gatwick on the other hand is as big as it's ever going to get.

Offline gonzofire

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2008, 07:44:20 PM »
Hi Yeebsy,

Yes i know Stansted has got a lot of land was there working on the rail link about 18-19 years ago god dont time go quick. I hope they dont sell any of the airports but I know that they may be broken up. Heard that Manchester airport group is looking at Gatwick but then so will a lot of other people if it does go on the market. What have you heard about the sell off and how do you think it will impact the new people starting, if there is a sell off?

Offline Yeebsy

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2008, 11:32:54 PM »
I've heard as much as you, if and it is a big if, if they sell off Gatwick then you, as being a new lad will be in a better position as you have bugger all pension with them anyway. The lads that are there now would most likely have there pensions either transfered or frozen. I don't know all the ins and outs thats why I'm a ire fighter and not a city analyst. ;)

Offline swiftfire

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2008, 06:36:53 PM »
Gonzofire,
Had the good news today. My physical is on the 21st at Stansted. I find that slightly odd as I applied for LHR? Does anyone know if this is correct?

Offline gonzofire

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2008, 04:50:37 PM »
Hi Swiftfire,

It is a bit strange that you are going to Stansted to do your fitness test BUT don't knock it just get it over and done with then you can concentrate on your interview, good luck with the fitness let me know how you got on.

Offline james

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2008, 03:11:32 PM »
Hi yeebsy, Yes it was me that picked up my new kit but you didnt put in a spoon and anyway i prefer mine smooth. :)

Offline Yeebsy

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2008, 07:49:17 AM »
Cool, we'll see you when you get back from Teeside.

Offline firedaven41

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2008, 02:21:57 PM »
Hi all, I am currently going through the recruitment process as well, with my fitness test just a few weeks away. Any tips??
How often do BAA actually recruit from this waiting list? Does anyone know how big the list will be, or criteria for selecting the next person from the list?

Any other information would be great!

Offline White_elephant

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2008, 04:23:20 PM »
Ooooh so many questions calm down fella! LOL!!

Ok, they recruit from the list as and when people leave basically, there is no timescale its random.
I dont know how big the list is but I would educate a guess at around 10-15 people?
The criteria im sure is how you scored at various stages through the recruitment process, i.e those that scored best will get the next positions as and when they become available.

RE the fitness tests, nothing too hard, a good level of fitness and strength and you will fly through, nothing to worry about.

514 - YARM YARM YARM!!!!!!!

Offline Fireguy1230

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2008, 06:16:27 PM »
Quote from: White_elephant
514 - YARM YARM YARM!!!!!!!
Shudder!!

Tall Trees, Black Bull...Tuesdays will never feel the same again!