Author Topic: Key Skills Training  (Read 35976 times)

Offline Nearlybaldandgrey

Key Skills Training
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2007, 04:39:07 PM »
No-one has mentioned in all these long posts that the Assessors work is checked by an internal verifier. The whole process is quality assured and checked by an External verifier.

The system is auditable and those who carry out the asseesments at L20, A1 etc are all accountable and should be checking that evidence correct.

Offline b217bravo

Key Skills Training
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2007, 06:11:52 PM »
it would be very interesting to see how many FF's with 5 years or more service could satisfy these tests, my guess is not many, would these guys/lasses then be deemed incompetent.
geoff (b217bravo)

Offline fireftrm

Key Skills Training
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2007, 07:37:15 PM »
Baldyman - I did if you read my last post, exceptingt eh EV bit. I am pleased to see some joining me and stating that it is the assessors who are doing their jobs wrongly if Ffs get that far and are not practically competent, also remember that these same assessors are probably their line managers and it is their responsibilty to develop them. So not only are they lying on competence records they are not even doing the basic job of any watch manager in carrying out training of staff. I would never have let my Ffs get to such a state that they couldn't properly pithc ladders, use pumps, or wear BA safely. I did my job as a watch officer and recorded the fact too, and that was over 5 years ago, before the new systems and NOS were in. I see no reason that a WM now should not do the same and every reason why they should. Indeed there is now a WM NOS, which there wasn't when I was one, and in it that you should do such is specifically stated!!!!!!!!!!!

b217bravo - I see no reason why any 5+ year served staff should fail, though I accept that sone may, yes , but then that is bound to happend when any entry tests change. How many 10 yr passed car drivers could pass a driving test again? No point in that discussion. As to would they be deemed incompetent - no competence is about demonstrating that you can do the job, the entry tests are about demonstrating that you have the potential to do it. Those alread y in should have evidence of the ir competence already. The job has changed and the entry requirements have too, that the job chnaged before the tests for application does mean we may have some who would not get in now, but thats as it is and we have to live with it. I have no doubt that the many thousands of applicants, some of whom have already passed tests nationally but haven't been given a job (I know 100 or so locally) would be delighted if we made passing the new standards of entry retrospective!!
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline johno67

Key Skills Training
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2007, 07:39:28 PM »
Quote from: b217bravo
it would be very interesting to see how many FF's with 5 years or more service could satisfy these tests, my guess is not many, would these guys/lasses then be deemed incompetent.
geoff (b217bravo)
Interesting point. I should imagine quite a few wouldn't if tested out of the blue. If they had time to prepare for it and understood what was expected of them then I think most would eventually.

As I see it the PQA's are about attitudes and behaviour, and for that reason I don't think you could be classed as incompetent if lacking in any particular area. It's about education, showing examples of what the acceptable standard is, which most of us will have seen through fairness and diversity training or the equivalent for example. If we do step outside the bounds of what is acceptable then there are the 'Discipline Procedures'.

I think the competence issue comes in when you judge people against their respective role maps through workplace assessment. Some Brigades are looking at introducing a 'Capability Procedure' to address this side of things.
Likes to play Devil's Advocate

Offline Nearlybaldandgrey

Key Skills Training
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2007, 08:02:11 PM »
Personal Qualities and Attributes are directly related to behaviour. They demonstate how you behave in a given situation from the past which is an indicator of your likely future behaviour.

Competence is assessed against a standard, in this case the national occupational standards which are linked to the role maps. There is no "judging", the process is by fair, pre planned assessment in which the candidate must provide evidence to substantiate the claim for competence, as well as thorough observation by an assessor.

Fireftrm .... yes I did read your post and missed your point, sorry!

Offline johno67

Key Skills Training
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2007, 08:49:29 PM »
Quote from: Baldyman
Competence is assessed against a standard, in this case the national occupational standards which are linked to the role maps. There is no "judging", the process is by fair, pre planned assessment in which the candidate must provide evidence to substantiate the claim for competence, as well as thorough observation by an assessor.
Point conceded, please read 'judged' as 'assessed' in my previous post.
Likes to play Devil's Advocate

Offline skevans

Key Skills Training
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2008, 11:00:26 PM »
Sorry to necro-post, however I felt it important for accuracy that you should know the RAF fire service stance regarding key skills.

We are mandated to provide training, assessment and verification at level 2 in communicaation and application of number. In old money this is the equivalent of a GCSE in maths and English at GCSE level, graded betwixt A and C.

The RAF Fire Service, until only this week, has wanted to employ recruits as apprentice's and give them the opportunity to achieve the full advanced apprenticeship in emergency fire services operations in the community, of which these two Key Skills are a constituent part.

DFRS trainees do not undertake any training for Key Skills and therefore they would be 'stood idle' whilst RAF boys did this part of the course. Therefore the decision was amde that RAF recruits complete this section either immediately before, or immediately after the traditional firefighter recruit course, although the Key Kkills phase IS a constituent part of the RAF recruit course.

In Oct 05 an astute Cpl recognised the opportunity for recruits to meet the requirements of all six skills at level two, and therefore the course was modified to allow assessment of this. There has been no extra resource commitments resulting from this change of approach, except a one off monetary cost of £43.60, in today's terms, per recruit.

Since this change the RAF fire service has met with a 94% pass rate with regard to exams, rising to 98.64% with the second attempt. No candidate has ever required more than three attempts at the exams. Only one candidate has ever failed the portfolio element.