FIRE SAFETY > Fire Alarm Systems

'Fruit company' devises as smoke detectors?

(1/4) > >>

Fire Monkey:
I can across a interesting article about a new patent from a well known company that I think are big in fruit distribution. It concerns using mobile and tablet devises as smoke detectors (presumably it is somehow integrated as hardware). These devises could talk and other near by devises (fixed smoke detectors/sprinklers/dampers/shutters/doors) and even contact the fire service. Obviously this would be a secondary back up device as its battery powered and the devices could be covered up and left in bags etc).

Any thought and how these could be used in the future - the internet of things (every thing is connected to every thing).

An apple a day could really keep the doctor away.......

Monkey.

Tom W:
Fantastic. We should embrace as much technology as we can. The security industry does its a shame the fire industry isn't as progressive.

Obviously any new product has to prove itself but bring on the revolution.

Owain:
I'm waiting for the first family to die after their smoke detectors get hacked and their internet-connected tumble dryer is turned on overnight.

Or for a fire service control system to go into panic mode after getting 10,000 calls a minute from a denial of service style attack.

Fire Monkey:
Good points Owain.

Tom W:

--- Quote from: Owain on August 01, 2017, 10:10:45 AM ---I'm waiting for the first family to die after their smoke detectors get hacked and their internet-connected tumble dryer is turned on overnight.

Or for a fire service control system to go into panic mode after getting 10,000 calls a minute from a denial of service style attack.

--- End quote ---

We don't have to wait for people to have smoke detectors not working.

The fruit company are excellent at encryption. What you state is a risk however you need to understand the level of that risk. For example you can stop a nest thermostat talking back to the nest server but you need physical access. So what you're mentioning is someone entering a premises taking the device apart (at which point there is a warning) jail breaking it (not easy) and repowering it (at which point the user would no longer be connected and notified) then also jail breaking a tumble dryer. Plus it would be hard to make it command anything else to actuate as most have ARP spoofing detection software installed. They can't be fooled, they talk a certain language.

The internet of things is based on if that then then.

If power disconnected then alert me
If tumble drier exceed temp then turn off
If time is between 8pm and 7am do not turn on tumble drier.

That is not based in the physical device so what you're suggesting is a lot of work just to commit a crime.

I can't wait for better systems to come out that don't rely on old metal boxes and bits of wire poking around a building with little fail safe. (lighting an led and buzzing that scary metal box near the cupboard doesn't work)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version