Author Topic: Developing Emergency Plans Where the Occupancy Figures Vary Wildly Out of Hours  (Read 7280 times)

Offline Messy

I am struggling to create a suitable/resilient system to account for persons that occupy a large building out of office hours. This is mainly as:

> It is not possible to hold a roll call
> The use of fire wardens is problematic & unreliable

The premises has a regular and predictable occupancy during the working day, therefore the emergency procedures are well rehearsed & compliant. However, away from office hours (24/7/365), the numbers of staff vary considerably. This could range from <50 to >1200 depending on workload & routine maintenance requirements. The workload fluctuations are rarely predictable. In addition, out of office hours, staff are often spread out across this very large building, with some lone working and groups of 5 to 10 people in one area, and 100+ in another.

I have considered various solutions, but none offer anywhere near the resilience that is possible during the day, or might be assessed suitable by enforcing authorities.

Looking at Article 15 of the FSO (& the enforcers guidance), I note there is no specific requirement to account for staff as in common practice in virtually all workplaces. The enforcers guide discusses Article 15(1)(b) in details (nominating staff to assist in implementing an emergency plan) - but it does not mention what those staff should do - or as I have said, there is no mention of accounting for staff.

So is it possible to have a emergency plan that simply relies on the fire alarm system to evacuate staff with no method of accounting for them? This would IMO require greater staff knowledge and understanding when compared to staff who work usual office hours. Article 15(1)(b) (nominating staff) could be satisfied by security staff who would assist physically during an evacuation, apply disabled persons evacuation procedures and by providing information by additional 'live' speech over the voice alarm system where necessary.

This plan would be supported by:
> Additional staff training (for those who work out of office hours)
> Large fire action notices on large A frames that are rolled out & displayed in high traffic areas out of office hours (lift lobbies)
> Two out of hours fire drills in addition to the annual working day drill
> Special measures for disabled staff
> Additional hot working measures (to take into account the amount of maintenance carried out during these times)

Its not a system I would wish to develop, but I am out of ideas for this particular premises.

I would appreciate your views - particularly on the compliance side of these draft proposals. To repeat, a roll call is not possible

Offline Owain

From a practical point of view, ff staff have RFID access tags for entering the building (which with 1000+ staff they probably do), those tags could be read at fire exits to count people out.

Further RFID readers within the building can identify how many (and who) is in what area, based on their last reported location as they move around the building. This may help prioritise areas for warden search. Numbers of people in each zone (and if few enough, names of individuals) can be displayed on a real-time VDU at a fire point. If there are eg ten or twenty people not confirmed as evacuated they can be called on the voice alarm system to present themselves to a warden, rather than having to roll-call through 1200 people.

The RFID 'transponder' timing systems used for events like marathons can handle large numbers of runners at start and end of the race without them needing to 'tap/touch in/out'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transponder_timing

The obstacle would be how many fire exits need to be equipped with readers. Possibly having readers at assembly points rather than on every exit door would be more feasible.

Offline Messy

Many thanks

Offline nearlythere

From a practical point of view, ff staff have RFID access tags for entering the building (which with 1000+ staff they probably do), those tags could be read at fire exits to count people out.

Further RFID readers within the building can identify how many (and who) is in what area, based on their last reported location as they move around the building. This may help prioritise areas for warden search. Numbers of people in each zone (and if few enough, names of individuals) can be displayed on a real-time VDU at a fire point. If there are eg ten or twenty people not confirmed as evacuated they can be called on the voice alarm system to present themselves to a warden, rather than having to roll-call through 1200 people.

The RFID 'transponder' timing systems used for events like marathons can handle large numbers of runners at start and end of the race without them needing to 'tap/touch in/out'

The obstacle would be how many fire exits need to be equipped with readers. Possibly having readers at assembly points rather than on every exit door would be more feasible.

Is it a case Owain that the tag has to be presented by hand to the reader? And then in an emergency would it result in a queue at the reader from people leaving en mass?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Fishy

I have to say that I'd approach this a different way?

We do have established means of dealing with this issue in the UK - staff registers, roll calls, fire wardens & sweeps etc.  You say that the application of these is not 'possible'?  I'd counter that it's always possible!  It might be that it's not practicable (though I can't imagine why); it might be that the current management arrangements don't support it (change the management arrangements); it might be that it's simply unpalatable to those managing the premises (the worst reason not to implement them)?  Lone working isn't automatically acceptable, for example.

Of course, I don't know the premises; I don't know the management arrangements nor how likely the occupants are to follow instructions / standard operating procedures, so I cannot possibly state whether the solutions we know and accept could be practicably applied.  All I can say that what you've described as the current arrangements sound chaotic, & I don't understand why they must be like this?  There are potential general health & safety issues with what you've described, never mind fire safety issues.

The only time I've come across anything similar is with military facilities where 'the normal rules don't apply' for various reasons!  In this case I've found that the military staff who manage those facilities are typically extremely pro-active and are normally able to come up with workable solutions themselves, if you tell them what the basic fire safety objectives are - and are pretty good at enforcing them!

I don't want to lecture - but I genuinely cannot understand how the building can be safely managed as you describe.  Perhaps if you give us more info on precisely why the current management arrangements have to be as they are, then we could explore further?

Offline Fire Monkey

If the use of 'official' warden is not practicable then make evacuations the responsibility of each manger working in the building. In the event of a fire evacuation they would all be expected to carry out the duties of a warden. If any one refuses - well that's a problem for senior management to deal with. If there are lone working conditions they need a buddy working in the area next to them.

Offline Owain

Is it a case Owain that the tag has to be presented by hand to the reader? And then in an emergency would it result in a queue at the reader from people leaving en mass?

The systems used for events energise and read the tags (either in the runner's bib number, sometimes on their shoe or ankle) as the competitors pass through at running speed. The IPECO system used for London Marathon across two mats has a 2 metre read range and 99.99% reliable to 120 tags per second.

http://www.activeendurance.com/products/ipico/how-it-works

They're probably stupidly expensive to buy, but high-speed high-volume RFID tagging is technically feasible and available.

Offline Messy

We do have established means of dealing with this issue in the UK - staff registers, roll calls, fire wardens & sweeps etc.  You say that the application of these is not 'possible'?  I'd counter that it's always possible!  It might be that it's not practicable (though I can't imagine why); it might be that the current management arrangements don't support it (change the management arrangements); it might be that it's simply unpalatable to those managing the premises (the worst reason not to implement them)?  Lone working isn't automatically acceptable, for example.

Of course, I don't know the premises; I don't know the management arrangements nor how likely the occupants are to follow instructions / standard operating procedures, so I cannot possibly state whether the solutions we know and accept could be practicably applied.  All I can say that what you've described as the current arrangements sound chaotic, & I don't understand why they must be like this?  There are potential general health & safety issues with what you've described, never mind fire safety issues.

The only time I've come across anything similar is with military facilities where 'the normal rules don't apply' for various reasons!  In this case I've found that the military staff who manage those facilities are typically extremely pro-active and are normally able to come up with workable solutions themselves, if you tell them what the basic fire safety objectives are - and are pretty good at enforcing them!

I don't want to lecture - but I genuinely cannot understand how the building can be safely managed as you describe.  Perhaps if you give us more info on precisely why the current management arrangements have to be as they are, then we could explore further?

I understand that I haven't given too many details, but the processes carried on in this building are unusual/rare - as are the circumstances surrounding this issue. Being too detailed would breach customer confidentially. I am frustrated I am unable to do.

A roll call isn't possible - however, the issue of ensuring fire wardens are able to sweep during out of usual office hours is easier to describe.

As I have said, this large 150,000m3 building has a constant number of staff during working hours, occupying all floors and all areas. There are a large number of fire wardens available and the evacuation strategy works well.

Out of office hours the building has a base core of a few staff (maintenance, cleaners and security - like any other building). However the processes carried on here will often create huge, sudden and unexpected demands requiring 100s of staff to be bought in on overtime. Many will be helping out and not at their usual place of work. Parts of the building will remain empty while other parts will be crowded.

On another day, a difference type of demand will bring different staff into different parts of the building. It is impossible to predict or plan in terms of supplying sufficient fire wardens - or for them to be knowledgable of the layout and specific procedures in that unfamiliar area

I have just re-read this and it still doesn't explain the situation that well. So returning to the OP, there is no specific requirement in law to account for people in a building following an evacuation. So could the control measures detailed in my OP (in effect creating a safe person concept) ever be compliant????

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
I wouldn't worry, at least one brigade (or at least one IO or local crew) is telling people they don't need to know if the building is clear.....so you can forget about needing wardens or other systems!

Of course they aren't in the firing line if it all goes wrong!

I know a couple of sites that use a floor/area card system and trained all staff that someone in each area had to grab a card, follow the instructions (bullet pointed fire warden's duties) and hand them in to the evac coordinator. Another uses full hot desking so no one has a defined location so all people arriving on site or who are still on site after defined normal hours moves to a single floor so the lower night security/customer service staff have only one area to go and sweep negating the need for wardens.
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline Fishy

We do have established means of dealing with this issue in the UK - staff registers, roll calls, fire wardens & sweeps etc.  You say that the application of these is not 'possible'?  I'd counter that it's always possible!  It might be that it's not practicable (though I can't imagine why); it might be that the current management arrangements don't support it (change the management arrangements); it might be that it's simply unpalatable to those managing the premises (the worst reason not to implement them)?  Lone working isn't automatically acceptable, for example.

Of course, I don't know the premises; I don't know the management arrangements nor how likely the occupants are to follow instructions / standard operating procedures, so I cannot possibly state whether the solutions we know and accept could be practicably applied.  All I can say that what you've described as the current arrangements sound chaotic, & I don't understand why they must be like this?  There are potential general health & safety issues with what you've described, never mind fire safety issues.

The only time I've come across anything similar is with military facilities where 'the normal rules don't apply' for various reasons!  In this case I've found that the military staff who manage those facilities are typically extremely pro-active and are normally able to come up with workable solutions themselves, if you tell them what the basic fire safety objectives are - and are pretty good at enforcing them!

I don't want to lecture - but I genuinely cannot understand how the building can be safely managed as you describe.  Perhaps if you give us more info on precisely why the current management arrangements have to be as they are, then we could explore further?

...there is no specific requirement in law to account for people in a building following an evacuation. So could the control measures detailed in my OP (in effect creating a safe person concept) ever be compliant????

I'm still mystified as to why the management of a building has to be as chaotic as you describe - it doesn't appear that further illumination is likely so I'll not continue to ask!

Those of us who've been around in the industry a while will almost inevitably have dealt with the 'show me where in the legislation it says I have to do this... question a number of times.

The truth is, when it comes to complying with the Law, the legislation doesn't have to be prescriptive as to what it practically requires, because it doesn't stand alone.  If and when court action ensues, the measure of what complies with the law will take great account of relevant published industry guidance, and 'on-the-ground' good practice - often as advised by 'Expert' witnesses.  The practical result of these in our day-to-day work is that we need to understand the relevant standards, guidance and good practice.  We don't have to comply with them, but if we don't we ought to be able to describe (in court if necessary) why it was not necessary, appropriate or practicable to follow that guidance and good practice, and also to state how an equivalent level of fire safety has been achieved by other means.  'Don't want to'; 'Can't afford to'; 'Would interfere with my business...' are amongst the worst excuses I've heard over the years - there have been many others.

The reason we put in place means to establish if a building has been evacuated in case of fire is so that a) those managing the building know all their people are safe; and b) so that when the fire brigade turn up and ask if there are people still in the building, someone present is able to tell them with some confidence whether there are or not.  If they cannot, then they're potentially causing the Brigade to put people in harm's way unnecessarily.  I would never endorse this - I'm not a lawyer, but I would be concerned that this fails to comply with the Law as I understand it.  Even if it were to comply with the Law, I would find it both morally and professionally unacceptable.

I'll climb down off my soapbox now!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 08:43:01 AM by Fishy »

Offline nearlythere

I wouldn't worry, at least one brigade (or at least one IO or local crew) is telling people they don't need to know if the building is clear.....so you can forget about needing wardens or other systems!

Of course they aren't in the firing line if it all goes wrong!

I know a couple of sites that use a floor/area card system and trained all staff that someone in each area had to grab a card, follow the instructions (bullet pointed fire warden's duties) and hand them in to the evac coordinator. Another uses full hot desking so no one has a defined location so all people arriving on site or who are still on site after defined normal hours moves to a single floor so the lower night security/customer service staff have only one area to go and sweep negating the need for wardens.

Is this the same IO who told you to leave disabled persons in the refuge area AB? A loose canon at loose?

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
Yes, it is!

What's annoying is that I did a lot of work with the site over years getting it up to a decent working set up that was proportionate and manageable with all parties on board and now it's all risking being undone on a whim!
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline nearlythere

Perhaps his boss needs to know about this or at least confirm that it is FS thinking.