Author Topic: Hospital fire detection  (Read 4823 times)

Offline peterm

Hospital fire detection
« on: February 23, 2004, 05:07:13 PM »
Hi,

Im desgining a fire detection system for a new hospital, I understand and have been trained in the use of 5839:2002, its the HTM 82 I havent used for a while and its been a while since I designed this type of system.

the part Im struggling with is:

1. door holders, are there any specific requirements as to where they should be used?

2. Crontrol and indicating equipment eg repeater units etc, where should they be installed, apart from Nurses stations?

Offline Peter Wilkinson

• http://www.thefpa.co.uk
Hospital fire detection
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 09:06:46 AM »
I think you should be looking at HTM81 for guidance concerning where door holders/automatic releases can be used.  Have a look at HTM81 Appendix B paragraph B4.  HTM82 gives guidance as to their specification and operation (paragraph 4.39) rather than their location.

With regard to control and indicating equipment, HTM82 paragraphs 4.25 onwards describe the philosophy, and 4.30-4.32 state the requirements;
1.  CIE required at main entrance (or nominated fire service attendance point)
2.  CIE at location manned 24hrs (switchboard or security office etc)
3.  Additional CIE to facilitate the organisation’s evacuation procedures (which is site specific requiring consultation with your client)

Does this help?
(all the stuff I said above is purely my own personal view and in no way represents any official view of my employer)

Offline peterm

Hospital fire detection
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 02:15:28 PM »
Thats great, thank you for your reply :)