Author Topic: Chimney inspections  (Read 7980 times)

Offline tempest

Chimney inspections
« on: February 24, 2004, 03:03:14 PM »
Is there any requirements for chimneys to be tested at any time (i.e not used for a period of time). I know they some times test to see if corded and smoke test but is this a building reg or what???  please help [/b]

Chimney inspections
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 03:32:15 PM »
Are you talking industrial 150ft chimneys or chimneys in a house?

Chimney inspections
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 03:47:27 PM »
chimney's in houses and/or guest houses

Offline firey

Chimney inspections
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 05:53:58 PM »
Ours is checked once yearly when the gas man comes to check the gas appliances.  Our chimney is just used as a flue for the gasfire and isn;'t live fire though.

Offline ian 2243

Chimney inspections
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 08:24:57 AM »
In Scotland Part F Tech Standards (not sure of English equivalent) covers installation of chimneys/flues but not maintenance. However reference is given to The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations which would mean all gas appliances being checked annually and as a matter of course the chimney/flue would also be checked. I am assuming that you are referring to a gas appliance connected at this chimney. As an extra precaution use a small carbon monoxide detector at or near the appliance or check it regularly using an electrical plug in detector.
In the days when coal fires were the main heat source it was an offence not to have the chimney swept once a year, dont know if this law is still current.
Ian.
 ;)

Offline Ken Taylor

Chimney inspections
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 09:43:53 AM »
I am only aware of this with regard to chimneys used as flues for gas appliances. RoSPA have been very strong on carbon monoxide deaths from inadequate flues and ventilation recently and have been highlighting the issue with solid-fuel fires. Perhaps they may have some further information that will assist you?

Chimney inspections
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 03:44:06 PM »
Surely just as long as it's cleaned once a year? They haven't seemed that bothered for the last 5000 Years?

Offline potter 2

Chimney inspections
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 07:03:10 PM »
http://www.feta.co.uk/downloads/guide-yellow1.pdf
this web site tells you all about chimbleys  its very interesting,,,,,no it isnt but answers your question,,,from potter