Author Topic: consultancy vacancies  (Read 22925 times)

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
consultancy vacancies
« on: January 13, 2004, 02:34:10 AM »
We are still looking for additional consultants. If anyone knows anyone really good would be pleased to hear. Tyically might be an ex ADO with 8 years or more experience in fire safety (but NOT from a certain large metropolitan brigade).
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

consultancy vacancies
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 11:46:39 AM »
Is that discriminatory? (And yes, I did have to look up the spelling). :D

Offline MShaw

consultancy vacancies
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 01:36:43 PM »
Guest, I am glad you have a dictionary - maybe you could lend it to Colin as I am sure there's a P in typically.

Vats Skottish edukashun for U

Messyshaw
(from a certain large metropolitan brigade)
MESSYSHAW

Offline ian 2243

consultancy vacancies
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 02:15:01 PM »
Why typically (Messy, note the 'P') ex ADO with Fire Safety experience, is somebody required with a rubber stamp? I would have thought the people at the sharp end of fire safety would have been ideal. Whether from a certain large metropolitan brigade or not!

Ian.  :shock:

Chris Houston

consultancy vacancies
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 04:41:55 PM »
Surely it is perfectly reasonable to discriminate, otherwise the first person who applied for a job would always get it.  The whole interview and selection proces is usualy designed to discriminate between suitable and unsuitable candidates.  What is wrong is when someone discriminates on the grounds of age, gender, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, colour, mobility or other characteristic protected by law. :idea: I don't think that by working for any certain employer can be claimed to be a societal group protected by law and it would be therefore perfectly reasonable to discriminate based upon previous employment. :lol:

Anyway, us Scot's are soon to be recognised as an oficial ethnic group (see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3387749.stm) so watch it! ;)

Offline Brian Catton

consultancy vacancies
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 12:50:38 AM »
I think that Colin says ADO and above as it is those officers who have enough experience to advise and arbitrate in situations where an inspecting officer has perhaps been over zealous.
Been there done that.
Unfortunately the larger the Brigade the more opportunities exist to make uncorrected mistakes. It is harder to control many small fish in a large pond.

Offline ian 2243

consultancy vacancies
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 09:28:19 AM »
Brian,
Are you saying that ADO's are never over zealous and that this only applies to Inspecting Officers?
Some Inspecting Officers may indeed be 'over zealous' but many have both the experience and knowledge to arbitrate and offer solutions to often complicated situations.
The point I was making was that by assuming ADO rank was a pre-requisite that good people who often do the work for them could be left out of the loop. Leadership is more about teamwork than 'control'.
Ian.  ;)

Offline Brian Catton

consultancy vacancies
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 12:03:36 PM »
No, I do not think the problem is necessarily confined to inspecting officers.
Also as you say some inspecting officers are very pragmatic in their approach.
Exposure to experience outside the brigade is essential as part of an officers development so it depends very much upon the actual duties of the officer and the overall experience/ management ability of his/her supervisors.

Offline MShaw

consultancy vacancies
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 03:28:51 PM »
Chris Houston & Colin Todd both Scots??

It's bad enough Parliament is filled with sweatys, now all the fire saftey jobs are being controlled by them.

I don't know about spending thousands of billions on a Mars mission, I reckon that money would be better spent on rebuilding (and strengthening) Hadrian's wall.
MESSYSHAW

Offline colin todd

consultancy vacancies
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 03:30:38 AM »
1.. Yes it is discriminatory, or at least I hope it is. People who chew gum, are badly trained and excessively arrogant are excluded. This rules out 90% of officers from a certain large metropolitan fire brigade right away (but not ALL large met brigades- candidates from GMC welcomed!).
2. Messey: spelling is 2nd to none; typing is crap. One has women to do that sort of thing for one, but the lazy sods don't stay on until 2.34am sadly.
3. Ian, Read Brian's posts. he has explained it quite eloquently. But even a lot of the ADOs in a certain large met brigade (hereinafter referred to as L@@@@@) are inexperienced and badly trained as well as arrogant. When we received a requirement under workplace regs REQUIRING us to increase the investigation delay period on a staff alarm in a theatre from 5 mins to 10 minutes, I tried talking to the guy's ADO, who explained patiently that I obviously misunderstood as L@@@@@ would never even allow such a thing, never mind require it, as (so he told me) little fires can grow into BIG fires in 10 minutes. I had never appreciated this before-amazing what you learn in the fire brigade. (He had to eat his words when the written confirmation of the ''requirement'' came through.) The fire authority in question shall remain nameless , but it wouldn't happen in GMC or West Mids.

3. Chris, Thank you for your helpful comments. For avoidance of doubt, old ethnic lesbian women in wheelchairs are welcome to apply, provided they have the experience defined in my original posting.

4. Brian, I agree experience outside a brigade would be beneficial, but not essential. Attitude is probably just as important.

5. Messey. I am sure there will always be a job in Higlands and Islands for someone of your calibre, so long as you can learn that, when you make pumps 22 for a skip fire, you will denude fire cover for an area of 10,000 square km.

Offline colin todd

consultancy vacancies
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2004, 03:36:50 AM »
Oops , forgot to mention, Messey, another pre-requisite is that they have to be able to spell fire safety. Its not fire ''saftey''. Saftey is Scottish for someone who is soft, as in '' See you, Jimmy, you are just a big saftey.'' If this is not clear ask that nice Scottish lady from the FBU, who had the English seeking their dictionaries during the strike when she talked about ''flinging'' something or other.

Chris Houston

consultancy vacancies
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2004, 12:01:22 PM »
MShaw,

I hope you re not implying that England built Hadrians wall?  I hope I am not going to have to give you a history lesson on here (and I suspect everyone else reading this is hoping the same.)

Good day to you kind Sir,

Chris Houston of Stirling (who spent a wee bit of time in Glasgow and Paisley too.)

London.

Offline Mr. P

consultancy vacancies
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2004, 12:39:07 PM »
Colins' missing 'P'.- Remeber it was the run up to Xmas. All those drinky poos parties and the amount of liquid he was consuming needed letting out. Hence when it came to writing he was then a P or 3 short. Well, the one he had left, he had to keep for 'metro'P'olitan'. Otherwise those he wanted to exclude may not have known they were to be excluded!
Ha a P new yer.

consultancy vacancies
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 01:27:23 PM »
I'm sure there's two 'm' in remember

Offline colin todd

consultancy vacancies
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2004, 10:04:56 PM »
Mr P, Which Christmas; it was posted on Jan 13? Christopher, Isn't Stirling the place with the bridge where Wallace kicked the **** out of the English as they crossed it? Reminds me of a joke about the wee Scottish boy and qotations, but its too long to reiterate here.