Author Topic: new association vs IFE  (Read 10265 times)

new association vs IFE
« on: January 28, 2004, 01:37:23 PM »
I have seen a new Association of Fire Consultants advertised.  I have got the blurb on it and it looks good. I think it looks a better prospect than the risk assessor register offered by the IFE which, although I am an 'IFE person' I am still yet to be convinced about it and its merits, especially with the criteria it is using.  Anyone feel the same on both things?

new association vs IFE
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 05:17:20 PM »
Can you give some info on the new Association, is there a website etc ?

Offline Peter Wilkinson

• http://www.thefpa.co.uk
new association vs IFE
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 06:30:36 PM »
I understand that the AFC is a 'trade association' for fire consultant companies.  I would imagine it will campaign on behalf of its members in order to raise the profile of fire engineering within the construction industry, for example.

However, I think the IFE's risk assessor scheme is a register of individuals rather than companies, which gives a potential client some degree of confidence that the said individual is competent in assessing fire risks- just like being a Chartered Fire Engineer gives the client confidence that the individual is a competent engineer.

I think that both schemes have their merits, for differing reasons.

By the way, has anyone actually been admitted onto the IFE risk assessor register yet?  Does anyone know if the scheme is going to be promoted so that potential clients know of its existence?
(all the stuff I said above is purely my own personal view and in no way represents any official view of my employer)

Offline Peter Wilkinson

• http://www.thefpa.co.uk
new association vs IFE
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 06:41:00 PM »
I nearly forgot- sorry Guest.

http://www.afc.eu.com/
(all the stuff I said above is purely my own personal view and in no way represents any official view of my employer)

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
new association vs IFE
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 03:36:05 AM »
Peter has got it in a nutshell. There is nothing wrong with a trade association, but it cannot be regarded as a professional body that represents an engineering discipline. The raison d' etre of a trade association is to look after the interests of its members. Membership hardly constitutes a QUALIFICATION, albiet that it can mean compliance with certain professional standards. One would not compare membership of BFPSA with certification of a fire alarm contractor by LPCB or under the BAFE Modular schemes. I am astounded at the idea that membership of the AFC is somehow ''better'' than registration on IFE register of risk assessors. Some fire consulting practices do not even carry out FRAs in the context of the WFPL, so there can not even be a comparison.(Incidentally, the register will also contain a section for those who ''audit'' risk assessments ie officers of anforcing authorities.) As Peter suggested, registration is intended to ensure the competence of INDIVIDUALS, and the quality of the register will, in my personal opinion ( this is not intended to represent an offical IFE opinion) be determined not so much by those who get included but by those who get rejected for inclusion-and yes people can and no dount will be rejected! As yet, no one has been registered, but numerous applications have been received and are being processed. The register is being promoted already on the IFE website, and no doubt there will be further publicity once there is a critical mass of people on the register. There will also be an article about it ina future issue of the IFE Journal. I am not sure, Bob, what the problem is with the criteria being used, but, if there are issues with the criteria, I am sure that, if you draw these to the attention of the WG responsible for the register, they will be addressed.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline colin todd

new association vs IFE
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 06:36:30 PM »
Three applicants have now successfuly completed the process for entry to the new register, and many more applications are now being processed, with applicants having been agreed in principle, subject to scrutiny of sample risk assessments.

new association vs IFE
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 05:20:13 PM »
colin, thanks for your comments on trade associations representing the best interests of their members, that might be useful to me at some in the future

dave bev

Offline colin todd

new association vs IFE
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 04:41:53 PM »
Davey, Not for the first time, you have lost me in the implications of this deep philosophical comment that you seem to think I made. I thought it was a mere truism, rather than some new and shocking revelation. Do tell why this is some form of news to you and/or the FBU.

new association vs IFE
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 09:44:41 AM »
This Association is for individuals as well as companies/trade.  Sorry I have been so long in replying but the contact is email executive@afc.eu.com and then you can make up your own minds which (if any) suits.  Colin, just rushing at the moment but will answer your comments by the end of this week
Cheers
BOB DOCHERTY

Offline Auntie LIn

new association vs IFE
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 05:13:46 PM »
Bob, You are correct, and I know you are making this point to Peter, rather than me, but you know how I cannot stop myself from adding my two pennyworth! You are both correct. A single consultant could join the Association, but he would still be joining a trade association, as opposed to registering via a process that checks his experience in fire safety, verifies that he has carried out a number of fire risk assessments and then chooses some at random for scrutiny to ensure his competence. I think the point Peter made is, however, also valid, in that, in the case of companies, it is indeed the company that joins the association, whereas a company cannot join the IFE register; each consultant in the company would need to register individually, since it is a person who is registered as competent, rather than the company.

Offline colin todd

new association vs IFE
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 05:15:30 PM »
OOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSS! That last message was from me and not from Auntie Lin. I was helping the dear lady register and forgot to log out as her.