Author Topic: Defence Fire and Rescue Service  (Read 28244 times)

Offline Mike Buckley

Re: Defence Fire and Rescue Service
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 10:07:01 AM »
Last seen on fire in Hong Kong harbour if I remember correctly.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 12:43:54 PM »
Our current QE2 of ENGLAND is the first Elizabeth to reign over the entire UK. In rains a lot in Scotland so its different there.....

This doesn't affect the Crown status of Military facilities.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 02:47:49 PM »
I have second question regarding military bases, is barrack blocks/ablutions blocks considered domestic premises and exempt from the RR(FS)O?
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 05:53:45 PM »
Sod the barracks, let me get this clear, she is QE2 of England then, not of the UK?????  Reminds me of the old song-Scotland hasnae got a king and she hasnae got a queen, for how can you hae a Liz the twa when the first yin's never been?
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline Messy

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 07:36:36 PM »
I have second question regarding military bases, is barrack blocks/ablutions blocks considered domestic premises and exempt from the RR(FS)O?

I am not sure what you mean by barrack blocks

The barracks in London are often large blocks of (scruffy) flats, so they most certainly DO fall within the Fire Safety Order

Offline Tom Sutton

All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 08:27:32 AM »
Kurnal could you enlighten me about the student accommodation in the west mids that a ruling says it is not subject to the RR(FS)O, I know you have mentioned it recently but I cannot find it.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:43:43 AM by kurnal »

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 10:36:59 AM »
Sod the barracks, let me get this clear, she is QE2 of England then, not of the UK?

Colin,

It depends on what you call The United Kingdom. As you can see from the brief history below the first Act of Union was in 1536 in which case Queen Elizabeth I could have ruled over a United Kingdom although Wales was only considered to be Principality.

The relationships among the countries of the United Kingdom have changed over time. Wales was annexed by the Kingdom of England under the Acts of Union of 1536 and 1543. A treaty between England and Scotland resulted in 1707 in a unified Kingdom of Great Britain, which merged in 1801 with the Kingdom of Ireland to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. In 1922, five-sixths of Ireland seceded from the country, leaving the present formulation of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Also as you can see England and Scotland did not officially unify until after the Stuarts had been booted out.

Colin, you are living in England you really ought to look at English history occaisionally.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 10:46:45 AM »
Thanks Kurnal

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2015, 11:02:41 AM »
The barracks in London are often large blocks of (scruffy) flats, so they most certainly DO fall within the Fire Safety Order

Could not barrack blocks fall within Victoria Hall ruling, see Kurnals above link?

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »

[/quote]

Could not barrack blocks fall within Victoria Hall ruling, see Kurnals above link?
[/quote]

I doubt it, but I'm not sure thats relevant to this debate. wether its a block of dwellings or something else, the Order applies.

In this case the RP is the crown, represented by the MOD. so Inspection and enforcement is throught the crown process.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 08:32:21 PM »

I doubt it, but I'm not sure thats relevant to this debate. wether its a block of dwellings or something else, the Order applies.

In this case the RP is the crown, represented by the MOD. so Inspection and enforcement is throught the crown process.

I agree it is irrelevant when it comes to prosecution but when a civilian contractor works in a military barracks what guidance does he use.
Barrack blocks is similar to student accommodation and are they flats, bedsits or private dwellings.
Both are subject to the building Regulations and the maybe the RR(FS)O this is why I am interested in the Victoria House findings. Do you use ADB volume 1 or 2, the DCLG guidance and British Standards?

Offline Mr. P

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2015, 07:45:35 AM »
Willing to be shot as the messanger AGAIN! Military barrack blocks aka sleeping accommodation, - single living accommodation falls under RRO as it is classed as forming part of their workplace. Married quarters for families are not. If married quarters are used for singles, then they are.

Offline firescot10

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 10:13:46 AM »
Departed the RAF Fire and Rescue Service late 2013, after 22 years service. My last three years were spent as the fire safety officer for one of our larger airbase's in Lincolnshire, carrying out FRA's on crown estate, and several cadet units throughout the UK. Happy to answer any general queries regarding the thread.....subject to the offical secrets act, and getting shot at dawn by Betty Windsors finest!!!
DFRMO is (was) the umbrella organisation covering the various RAF, Navy and Army fire services, and we still train at Manston (except the Navy, they like to be different, and land based units dont sink). I completed my basic training at Manston in 1991, approx 2 years after it became the central training school, and rumors of its closure were rife even then. Its still going strong 24 years later, surving as a military enclave to the side of Manston Intl Airport/M20 Lorry Park.  
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:19:44 AM by firescot10 »