Author Topic: Intruder alarm calls fire service  (Read 8425 times)

Offline lyledunn

Intruder alarm calls fire service
« on: February 05, 2016, 07:24:24 PM »
Some kind of smoke machine has been fitted in the foyer of my golf club. Apparently on detection of an intruder it fills the space with a dense fog. The caterer was last out and punched in the wrong code. Re-entering the foyer set the smoke machine off which in turn set the fire alarm off. Ten minutes later two big red engines were outside! Sounds like someone's good idea wasn't thought through!

Offline Golden

Re: Intruder alarm calls fire service
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 07:50:56 PM »
Its quite common Lyle - fire services are called many times to smokecloak and similar devices although they are meant to be quite effective at deterring robbers and the fire service will undoubtedly be there before the local plods!

http://www.smokecloak.co.uk/en/

Offline SeaBass

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 07:21:59 PM »
A large retailer I am aware of  work with uses these smoke cloak devices. They advise the local F&RS that they are installed in the shop and place signs over the door.  The problem is that many of their stores have residential flats above them, so as soon as the LFA receive a call from a passer-by reporting smoke issuing, they respond, and if the premises are not occupied when they arrive, they have been known to commit a BA crew to identify the cause of the smoke. 

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 08:53:11 PM »
I think part of the installation standard is to inform the FRS on their presence (That's what the letters say). I used to receive 2-3 a month at one point. Each one is put on the command and control system to warn crews. I've know a few accidental activations. We also had a standard operational procedure to deal with them.

Knowing about them doesn't stop passers by from ringing the fire service. The cynic in me thinks that the intention, the FRS will attend whereas the Police won't.

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 09:23:51 AM »
The cynic in me thinks that the intention, the FRS will attend whereas the Police won't.

No Dave, the cynic in me thinks they never thought about that in the first place, it is just an unforeseen benefit.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 01:50:15 AM »
I went to one of these 20 odd years ago when they were very new, in a car tyre place and we broke in through an expensive door thinking we had a large fire.  As soon as we had access we knew there was something different about the smoke but the damage was done by then. 

They had left a small window open at high level and a bird had got in.  We rescued the bird (shooed it out).  They did have a notice on the front of the building stating that such a system was installed but it was about 4 inches by 3 inches and was in darkness so it was no surprise that we missed it.  I would recommend that buildings with these fitted have conspicuous signs on the doors that are most likely to be targetted by the fire service (and by potential intruders).