Author Topic: Dry Powder Extinguisher  (Read 6218 times)

Offline Daffodil

Dry Powder Extinguisher
« on: October 16, 2014, 09:56:29 AM »
I was talking to a business today and they asked a question that I do not have the answer for, I thought the wealth of knowledge on here would be able to provide an answer.

Following a fire a small business asked an extinguisher maintenance company to recharge the dry powder extinguisher that was used.  The engineer from that company stated that he was unable to replace the Dry Powder extinguisher like for like as they cannot put dry powder in commercial businesses.  He then went on to say that as of 2015 dry powder extinguishers will no longer be manufactured.
Both of these pieces of information are news to me, however I am very aware that I do not know everything.  The only reference I can find in BS 5306-8:2012 is;

5.4.3 Use of powder extinguishers

The discharge of a powder extinguisher within the buildings can cause a sudden reduction of visibility and can also impair breathing, which could temporarily jeopardize escape, rescue or other emergency action.  For this reason, powder extinguishers should generally not be specified for indoor use unless mitigated by a health and safety risk assessment.

There are many small businesses out there that only have powder extinguishers, there is an initial cost benefit to only having one extinguisher as well as the subsequent maintenance.  Are these two statements from the engineer really a ?thing? or is it a method of profiting?

Offline lancsfirepro

Re: Dry Powder Extinguisher
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 04:22:56 PM »
The part about not manufacturing powder extinguishers from 2015 is nonsense.

There's no reason they cannot refill a powder extinguisher, but, if you've ever set off a powder extinguisher in a confined space you'll know why they have put that detail in the standard.  Where powder extinguishers are fitted in premises for no other reason than to provide more economical coverage (rather than providing a water based extinguisher and a CO2 extinguisher) then when the 5 yearly extended service is due for the powder extinguishers, rather than spend the money on the extended service, it's a good time to think about replacing them with alternatives (where possible).  This is what the engineer should have been putting forward.  What is more likely is that the engineer either didn't have the replacement powder, or, he doesn't know how to refill a powder extinguisher.

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 09:52:04 PM »
Or doesn't have the kit to refill it (which most don't these days as it's not cost effective).

You can install powder indoors, there are some situations where it remains the best option weighing up all the pros & cons.

What the standard is saying is that it should no longer be a default option. This is primarily on health & safety grounds as:
- Discharging a powder extinguisher indoors will lead to rapid loss of vision as the area becomes 'powder logged' particularly if you don't have a high ceiling. This can cause disorientation, panic & can impede escape
- Whilst the powder isn't toxic it is classed as a respiratory irritant and is very unpleasant to breathe in even if in perfect health and you will cough and splutter, if there are any persons in the vicinity with pre existing respiratory complaints (asthma, COPD) the risks are greater

The other concern is secondary damage. The fine particulate nature of the powder itself causes issues depending on the nature of the equipment, items and areas in which it settles, this is further complicated by it's acidic pH and the fact it fuses and gets sticky when heated (which is part of it's extinguishing actions on Class A fires). Thousands of pounds worth of damage potential is there (& has been realised in the past)

If your risk assessment determines that the H&S and damage risks are tolerable in a particular situation that powder is appropriate then it can be used - the BS uses an example of a metal pencil sharpner factory where in the large open production area, the safety and damage risks are tolerable so they use powder to rationalise the number & type of extinguishers needed, but in the upstairs office areas they stick to separate water and CO2

Offices and shops don't really need powder extinguishers as the cons outweigh the pros, however in a very small retail/catering unit I supplied 2kg powders after giving the client sufficient information to make an informed choice and ensuring the commissioning paperwork made this clear.

Powder extinguishers will still be manufactured, there are far too many risks where it is the best or only realistic option.

By spinning a total load of rubbish on one hand and twisting some genuine guidance to suit the contractor mentioned would be right off my list of approved providers!
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline Golden

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 10:04:27 PM »
Anthony I fully agree that DP extinguishers are excellent in the right situation however I am still finding brand new ones in office blocks and schools which is a bit disappointing. However thanks to the BS the next time I propose or risk assess extinguishers in a pencil sharpener factory I'll know exactly what FFE to use on the factory floor! ;D ;D

Offline Psuedonym

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 08:29:47 PM »
I was told the exact same tale from an engineer yesterday regarding one of his colleagues.  The customer was put right and the engineer,  apparently with a history of bad practice,  is an ex colleague.
It appears his poor interpretation of BS wasn't unique.
Ansul R102 Kitchen Suppression Enthusiast

Created using refurbished electrons to ensure I do my bit to save the planet...Polar bear cubs saved so far:2.75. Reduced due to effects of Carbon Footprint on the carpet. It's a bugger to shift...